Chapter 76 - Apart Again

Quinn, Alexandria

I couldn't sleep at all. I was lying wide awake, waiting for him to come home. Morning came and Negan spent the night somewhere else. I was wishing so hard that he didn't leave Alexandria. I was hoping with all my heart that he hasn't left me here.

I headed out to help Carol fix the wall. It was early morning, but a couple of people were already working by the time I got there. Carol glanced at me.

"What happened?" she asked.

"Negan saw Hershel..." I looked Carol in the eye. "He was devastated. He cried all afternoon then he left, I have no idea where he went. Have you seen him?" I asked. Carol shrugged her shoulder and shook her head.

"Sorry, I haven't," she paused for a moment, then continued. "You know... He should have thought about this before he smashed Glenn's head..." said Carol quietly.

"I know, I know what he did was wrong... but he felt threatened and wanted to keep his own people safe from us. I know he was wrong, I know he made a mistake, but I can't stand seeing him in so much pain."

"Well... I'd say he deserves it, but I don't want to hurt your feelings," said Carol genuinely. I nodded understandingly. We saw Daryl going out with his motorcycle. Carol watched him.

"I have to talk to him," she said. I nodded. "See you later."

"Bye," I said bitterly and watched Carol hurry after Daryl.

I glanced around, searching for Negan. I couldn't see him anywhere.

I was working for hours on fixing the wall. I had a couple of breaks when I drank water, but then I continued. I was struggling with a larger metal piece when Jesus appeared next to me.

"Need help with that?" he asked.

"Yeah. Thanks," I said. Jesus stepped next to me and helped me lift the metal.

"What's going on?" he asked. I let out a sigh.

"Negan saw Hershel and... he realized what he did. He was really down. Then he disappeared."

"Really?" asked Jesus. "I haven't seen him either. I'm sorry to say, but I think you would be the only one who would miss him."

"I know," I said bitterly. "If he doesn't come home tonight, I'll go out to look for him."

"Aaron and Gabriel just went out, maybe they'll spot him somewhere."

"I hope so. How are you and Aaron?" I asked to distract my own thoughts.

"We're fine, thanks. We don't run around yelling we're a couple, but we're happy."

"You're so cute together."

"Wish I could tell you the same, but... it's Negan. I'm just happy you're happy."

"Thanks," I smiled at him sadly.

"Don't worry. I'm sure he'll come back. Aaron told me what kind of rampage he made when he thought you were dead. He loves you so much, I can't imagine him leaving you."

"I hope you're right and he's coming back."

"Don't worry," he said with a slight smile and patted my shoulder. I smiled at him sadly.

"Thanks for trying to lighten up my mood," I glanced at the wall," I think that's it for today.

"Yeah. Tomorrow we'll finish it up," said Jesus examining the wall.