Chapter 47- Priorities

Quinn, Hilltop

It felt like I had no tears left inside at all. I have wiped my face to prevent it freezing on me. I was just sitting, staring at the falling snow.

After a while, Carol approached me.

"I broke up with Ezekiel," she said in a matter-of-fact way. I looked at her as she sat next to me.

"Finally. At least you got to be with Daryl now."

"I'm not sure he wants to... but anyway. I wanted to apologize once more. I'm so sorry. I'm going to ask Michonne..."

"...to let me back to Alexandria. I know, Daryl said the same damn thing. I just got informed that Negan was even out of Alexandria and we could have met... I'm so angry right now..."

"I don't want to leave you here like this. We cannot know what's going to happen to us on the road... I don't want you to be angry with me."

"That's hopeful and positive."

"Realistic," she said sadly.

I let out a sigh.

"You're right. I don't want to be angry with you either... I don't want to be selfish. I'll wait for you to make the council vote and come get me."

"We will get you back to Alexandria. I'll get you back to Negan. I promise," she said.

"It's strange to hear it from you."

"I know. But... Judith seemed really convinced about him. And she knows him better than any of us."

"He was always nice... it's just the apocalypse turned him into something else."

Carol nodded, took my hand, and smiled at me.

"I don't want to be away from Daryl anymore... I get it how you feel about Negan. And I promise, if you're still in love with him, I will help you get back to him."

"Promises... I got a lot of them lately. None of it happened yet. I'm sorry, for being a jerk like this. I know people and survival is the most important thing right now. I don't want to be selfish. I just can't hold back my feelings. I still love Negan and I'm really angry that I missed the chance to meet with him when he got out. I'm also angry because everyone I care about will be at Alexandria and I have to stay here."

"I know, honey," she said and hugged me, I buried my face into her shoulder. "I know, it's hard, but I'll try to get you back to Alexandria. And don't forget that Eugene is working on the radio, we might be able to talk at least."

I backed away from Carol.

"But you won't let me talk to Negan..."

"We don't even know if it's going to work," Carol said, dodging the question.

"We're talking about Eugene, if someone can make it work, it's him."

We fell silent for a moment and watched the snow falling gently. It remained and became more visible on the ground.

"You know..." she started. "I think Ezekiel suspects something about Daryl. He talked to him. Just the two of them."

"What did they talk about?"

"I have no idea. Wish I knew. Probably about me."

"Hah," I sniffed.

"I didn't want to hurt Ezekiel," she said quietly.