Chapter 87 - Please forgive me

Quinn and Carol, Alexandria

I wasn't sleeping, just resting a bit for a little while. After some time the front door opened without knocking and anything, I opened my eyes to see what was going on. Daryl stepped inside carrying a pheasant over his shoulder. Carol immediately jumped on the opportunity.

"Wow! Give me that!" she said as she grabbed the bird and disappeared in an instant to go to their house and start cooking it. Daryl followed her with his eyes, then closed the door behind her. I hesitated for a moment, but then it burst out of me:

"Daryl, I am so sorry..." I started. He turned around to face me.

"How are you feeling?" he asked.

"Daryl..." I said as tears started to sting my eyes. "I would never want to hurt you like this. I am so sorry you had to see it."

He put his crossbow down and stepped closer, avoiding my eyes. He sat next to me on the couch.

"Please, say something..." I said as I quickly wiped away my tears. He rested his elbows on his knees as he was sitting bending forward. He turned his face towards me.

"It's none of your fault. It's mine. I kept Carol and you were alone, because of me," he said in his low voice.

"Are you kidding me?!" I said and I grabbed his hand. "Don't you dare to do this, to make me feel even worse, I already feel guilty! Do not say it was on you," I said as another tear rolled down my cheek. He looked at me, and with his other hand he wiped away my tear.

"It wasn't your fault," he said gently as he looked me in the eye.

"It wasn't your fault either," I said quietly, looking down at our hands. He let go of my hand, moved closer, and hugged me gently. I buried my face in his shoulder, he stroked my back.

"It's okay," he growled quietly. After a couple of minutes, we backed away, I wiped my face once more.

"I was outnumbered and..." I started, but he interrupted me.

"Stop. I said it wasn't your fault."

"I hate that I always need to be saved," I said honestly.

"Shit happens. The world is like this now," he said as he leaned back on the couch.

"I hate to be a burden," I said staring at my own hands.

"You're not a burden," he said gently, but his voice was a little bit bored. He was tired of me saying this all over again. But I had to, because I felt like that. We didn't say anything for a couple of minutes while I thought this through, then he interrupted my stream of thoughts: "Where's that asshole?" he asked to change the topic.

"I don't know. Probably fixing the wall," I said sadly. Daryl saw that I was down, so he made up his mind to try and make me feel better.

"I kissed Carol," he stated and examined me with his eyes to see my reaction. My eyes widened, I jerked my head up.

"What?!" I asked. "And you're just telling me now??? What happened? When? Why Carol didn't say anything???" I showered him with my questions.

"I knew that would make you feel better," he said smiling.

"Wait, you just made it up?" I asked disappointed.

"No, no, it happened," he said still smiling. He looked so cute.

"Awww... I guess I have to torment Carol for details because you won't say anything," I said as I patted his shoulder. "I'm so happy for you."