Chapter 1 - The beginnings

I'm perfectly aware of what he did. I knew Glenn, barely, but still. I also knew Abraham. And Sasha. And Carl...

I wasn't present in neither of their... last moments. I heard about them later. I was trying to talk sense into Carol, but she wanted to be alone.

First, I didn't feel anything for Negan. I would consider him handsome, but I never really thought about it, because it was so insignificant. And because his actions overshadowed everything.

He is the devil.

I am an Alexandria citizen, I helped my people against him.

Then Rick defeated him and they put him behind those bars. Rick said he will live there till the end of his life.

I'm a strange person. I guess I was bored. I had nothing to lose.

I volunteered to keep an eye on Negan and bring him food every day.

When I first met him, my heart was pounding so strongly. He was a leader, a murderer, someone to be afraid of, so my body acted like this. My body was scared.

I was scared.

I was standing right at his door at the infirmary. Siddiq just finished checking his wounds. As Siddiq left the room he looked at me.

„Be careful. He might be weak and he refuses to talk, but still, he is Negan. He is dangerous." he told me.

I nodded my head. Siddiq left. I took a deep breath and I entered the room.

He was staring at the ceiling. Didn't even glimpse at me. I put soup on the table next to him. I felt my heart was pounding in my throat. I was alert. I was cautious. I brought only a spoon for him, but maybe he could kill me with that too.

He didn't eat. He was staring at the ceiling.

I took a deep breath.

"You should eat a little."

He kept staring at the ceiling. It was creepy and miserable. I saw his chest moving as he breathed, so he is not dead. He wasn't even blinking. I felt awkward. How long should I wait? I saw Siddiq walk past by the door outside. I leaped after him.

"Siddiq!" he turned around. "What should I do if he is not eating? How long should I wait?"

"You can leave the food in there and come back later."

"I left only a spoon, but who knows what he is capable of with that."

"I will check on him regularly. You can go."

"Okay, thanks."

He didn't have to say it twice, I was instantly out of there.

...

Days, then weeks passed like this. He was staring at the ceiling. When his wounds were almost healed, Rick and Michonne escorted him to the jail.

A lot of things happened so fast.

I saw Negan falling deeper and deeper in this. I didn't dare to say a word to him.

Then once I caught him trying to commit suicide. I talked to him for the second time.

"What are you doing?" I was scared, not from him, but that he was about to take his own life.

"Nothing..." he said in a faint, crackling voice. "I can't..."

He lay down on his bed, turned his back towards me. I entered his cell, with my heart beating so fast, I was alert, every muscle was ready to jump if he tries to attack me. I picked up quickly the shards of his broken porcelain plate, leaped out of the cell, and locked it. He didn't even flinch.

He was hollow. I'm not a psychologist, but I could tell, he was in deep depression.

I told Michonne about the case, her reaction was I should serve him food on a wooden plate. Alright then.

After a while, Maggie was able to reach Negan too. She came to kill him. But she spared him, she said Negan was already in a worse state than death.

And then Rick died.

Everyone was mourning. Should I let Negan know? Or is he considered no one?

He was still in depression. I decided to tell him, but only to snap him out of it. Maybe I was selfish, but it was hard to look at him. He was so miserable. I haven't felt anything for him back then, though. My thoughts were occupied by missing Daryl, who got to lead the Sanctuary.

I went down to Negan's cell. I brought him sandwiches on a wooden plate.

He was sitting in the shadow, staring at the window.

I took a deep breath. I gulped.

"Rick is dead."

He slowly turned his face towards me. This was the first time ever he looked at me. His eyes were full of emptiness.

"What?" he asked quietly. I nodded my head. I wanted to run away. I was still afraid of him. But that was all the interaction. He turned his face back towards the window and fell deep in thoughts.

I left.