Chapter 29 - Taste of freedom

(Did you miss Negan? :D Sorry about that. There was a lot going on with Quinn. 😊)

...

Negan, Alexandria

Negan was casually lying on his bed. He was brainstorming all day what he could do, to get Michonne down to talk to him. He wanted to be useful. He wanted to make up for his mistakes. He was seeking redemption. But he would never admit it, and he had no chance, as Michonne didn't want to come down. Negan massaged his forehead, closed his eyes. He knew if he could do some good, Lucille and Quinn would be happy. They would be proud of him. He didn't want to admit it, not even to himself, that Gabriel's sessions helped him find the way back to his old self. Also, Judith helped him a lot.

He opened his eyes and slowly got up. He buried his face in his hands, then stood up and let out a sigh. He clapped his eyes on the tennis ball that Judith gave him. He stepped closer and grabbed it. He threw it up, then caught it, then he sat on the floor next to his bed.

He was throwing his tennis ball against the wall, all afternoon. It was already evening. He could hear the wind was blowing outside. Maybe a storm was coming. He couldn't stop the thought, it came to his mind...

That stormy night. When he hugged Quinn for the first time. When he calmed her. But she was gone.

He was throwing the ball angrier by the moment when he missed it and it rolled away, out of his cell between the iron bars. He let out an irritated sigh and rolled his eyes. He leaned his head back and closed his eyes for a moment, then opened them again. He looked at the ball when he noticed something. The cell's door was slightly moving because of the wind. He watched closely and he was now sure of it. He walked slowly to the door and pushed it. It was open. Gabriel forgot to lock it. He walked out smiling and headed out of the basement immediately. His thoughts exploded. He was free.

He

was

FREE.

He slowly walked upstairs and stepped out into the night. The wind was chilling, but he didn't care. He kept looking around nervously, he was sweating too. He wiped his forehead with the back of his hand. He took his steps slowly. This was the first time he got out. Of course, Gabriel and Siddiq took him to the infirmary when he had the breakdown, but he wasn't really himself to enjoy the outer world back then. Now he was.

He touched a tree gently and started to smile again. It was the middle of the night, no one was on the streets. No one saw him. He kept on lurking around. He took a deep breath, the air was so fresh. He never realized how important it was to walk freely and breathe fresh air. You never appreciate something when you have it. Only when you lose it.

He kept on lurking. He found the plantations. He crouched beside the plants, stole a tomato, and ate it. It was so fresh and tasted so good. It reminded him of Quinn's meals, that she prepared for him. Gabriel used to give him crap, but lately, he started to prepare decent meals too. It wasn't as good as Quinn's, though. When he finished, he looked around again and spotted some tools nearby. He took a shovel with him, just in case. It can be used as a weapon.

He continued his journey as a free man. He stopped on the street and frowned his eyebrows.

I wonder in which house Quinn lived...

But then, the thought stroke him, like a lightning bolt. He was out and he could find Quinn if she was alive... He could be with Quinn right now... He stopped and leaned against a tree. He gasped for air. His tears started to fall.

First, he lost Lucille, and then Quinn...

He promised her he would get out and find her...

There wasn't anyone or anything to find. He didn't even know where her tomb might be.

He didn't know which house was hers either.

He took some deep breaths, then let it out slowly. He had to get himself together. He wiped his tears away and continued walking. He wanted to find her house. He was checking them, one by one. Maybe there was a hint, something that would show him which house was it.

He remembered that Quinn was gardening a lot. He found a house which had a garden, really overgrown. He stepped closer and looked carefully. It was close to his cell and it had an overgrown garden... He stepped to the porch, that's when he saw the washbasin which Quinn brought him to wash himself. He was 100% sure.

This is it... It's Quinn's house.

Tears started to sting his eyes again. Quinn lived so close to his cell.

He tried the door, it was open.

He stepped in. Everything was so dusty, seemed like no one came in for a long time. He put down the shovel and bag of vegetables, that he stole from the plantation. He looked around carefully.

Quinn was living here.

That was all he could think about.

He went upstairs and found her bedroom. He touched the blanket on the bed. He couldn't help it, his tears started to fall, he was sobbing again.

She was so close to me all along, she was so close... – he thought and kept sobbing. He couldn't stop thinking about her, if he was a free man back then they could have lived in this house, together.

He wiped his face, then rushed downstairs, grabbed the shovel and his bag, and left, slammed the door angrily behind him.

His eyes were red from crying. He hurried away from Quinn's house.

He stole some clothes from a laundry drier, maybe it was Aaron's, who knows.

Then he crept into Michonne's house. He wiped his eyes again, but then it hit him in the heart when he saw Judith's drawing on the wall. Rick and Carl were in the picture too.

He closed his eyes tight, let out a huge sigh, then turned around and left. He didn't know where Judith might be. Michonne was out of town, he heard by his window, but he had no idea who got her children.

He had no idea either why he entered their house. He was so confused. He just wanted to get out of there.

He hurried towards the wall. He wanted to leave these memories behind. He was running away from them.

Sun was about to rise when he stopped by the walls. He was preparing to leave Alexandria, he threw the shovel over the wall, then started to climb. He wanted to escape, to run away from Quinn's memory. It was too much for him. Too many people died and most of it was his fault. He grabbed something on the wall and pulled himself up. He was almost out.

Almost out.

...

Author's notes: Listen to "Falling in the Black" by Skillet. ❤

Thank You for reading! ❤