Chapter 121 - Procession

Quinn and Negan, the Commonwealth

My heart was pumping in my ears and in my throat anxiously as the soldiers led us through the gates. Negan looked around amazed. Clearly, he was impressed that this place was stuck in the past. The Commonwealth was huge and there were so many soldiers I couldn't even count. They led us strictly into a building where they were supposed to record Alexandrians. I squeezed Negan's hand, I didn't want to go in that room alone.

"For faster data recording, we allow this time for families to go in together," announced Hornsby. And with that, he stopped overseeing the process and left. I let out a small, relieved sigh. I can go in with Negan.

"You can come in," stated a guy in a suit very seriously, addressing Gabriel and Rosita. They stepped through the door which they closed behind them. Eugene waited for them outside. I quietly called him.

"Psst, Eugene!" I said and he came to me.

"Hm?" he hummed questioningly.

"What happens in there?" I asked as stress started to build up inside of me.

"Well, they were a bit frightening at first but we convinced them that you are all good people, you are families with kids, so they won't be so strict this time, but... they ask a bunch of questions about a lot of things."

"Okay," I said frowning my eyebrows concerned. "But what questions?"

"Your name, your previous job, your parents' jobs, your zip code, they asked if I consider myself an honest person and so on," Eugene listed.

"Zip code? What the hell is that for? I can't even remember," I admitted getting scared.

"It's okay, it's not important," Eugene said smiling. "Just answer honestly and everything will be fine."

"Okay," I said letting out a sigh. After some time, Gabriel and Rosita came outside and Carol and Daryl were called in with the kids. Eugene smiled at me once again to hearten me, then left and joined Rosita and Gabriel.

"We will be fine," said Negan quietly.

"You think so?" I asked unsurely, I was just as stressed as before talking to Eugene. "I feel like I'm going for an exam or a job interview."

Negan squeezed my hand gently, to reassure me. We left Alexandria in the afternoon and we got here by the time it was dark. When Carol and Daryl came out Carol flashed a heartening smile at me. I slightly returned the smile, but I was too anxious. Eugene said they sped up the process because of our numbers. But we were sitting there for one or two hours anyway. There were waves of stress tormenting me. Once I felt calm then I felt stressed again. Then calm again, then stressed again. We were the last ones they called in. My heart wanted to jump out of my throat when they finally let us in. There was a woman and a man taking notes. There were two soldiers in the room as well. I glanced at them as I walked inside, Negan closing the door behind us. Quiet.

"Have a seat," said the woman strictly. We exchanged glances with Negan and sat down in front of them.

"Names?" asked the woman glancing at us, then back at her paper.

"Negan Smith," Negan answered. I panicked.

"Quinn... Smith," I said. I saw in my peripheral sight that Negan glanced at me and tried to suppress his smile.

"Are you married?" asked the woman.

"Yes," Negan said this time. I felt so relieved and yet still so stressed.