Chapter 97 - The Prey

Quinn, Negan, and Maggie, at the safe house

As Negan fell asleep instantly I went back downstairs. Maggie was still rummaging through the supplies. I carefully kneeled beside her.

"Can I help with something?" I asked gently. She stopped for a second but didn't look at me.

"Don't try to be nice," she said grumpily. I let out a sigh and sat down on the floor.

"Despite you think we want to kill you... we don't. I know you want to kill Negan. But he doesn't want to do anything with you. And I don't either," I said. She glanced at me.

"So what? Should I just believe everything you say?" she asked as she turned her eyes back at the supplies.

"I never hurt you, Maggie. I do not intend to," I said.

"True. You didn't do anything to me. But you changed sides by being with him," she stated.

"Do you think I changed sides? I'm here to help Alexandria. Do you think Carol and Daryl wouldn't put me and Negan down if we were dangerous?" I asked. "Or you don't even trust Carol and Daryl anymore?"

She seemed to be thinking about this for a couple of minutes.

"Honestly, I don't know what to say," she said as she stood up and went to rummage another crate.

"I know this is hard, but as Negan said, we have to trust each other and work together to succeed. And you already did trust him for a second when you handed him a pistol in the subway," I said to her back as she was deep in the crate in front of her.

"That was necessary. It doesn't mean I trust him," she said grumpily.

"This whole situation is necessary. And you already saw you can count on him," I said. "I'm not trying to be friends with you. I'm trying to make a point. A logical one," I stated as I gathered myself up. Maggie turned around to face me.

"What do you want? You want me to promise that I won't kill Negan or what?" she asked as she threw her hands.

"I'm asking you the same thing I asked back at Alexandria. Let us live and we will help you," I said. She turned around and focused on another crate.

"I cannot believe that I lost so many of my people and I got stuck with you two," she said grumpily, frustrated.

"Well, I'm sorry," I said, now I was grumpy too.

She let out a frustrated sigh.

"I won't kill either of you for now, but I don't know how long I can keep this promise," she stated as she faced me again.

"I would prefer a very long time. Let us live, we help and then we figure something out, okay?" I asked.

"Fine," she said grumpily and turned her back on me once again. I let out a silent sigh. I checked the crates too that she already checked. It was food, but barely anything. I sat down on the last steps of the stairs and drank a little water from my flask. A couple of hours passed without saying anything. I almost fell asleep, I tried really hard not to. I didn't move from the stairs though, I still didn't completely trust Maggie. I heard the bed upstairs creak, Negan was getting up. He came downstairs, I stood up to get out of the way.

"Your turn," he said sleepily. I nodded, glanced at Maggie, then I went upstairs.

"Will you come with me, please?" I asked. Negan nodded and came back upstairs. I lay down on the bed, he lay beside me.