Chapter 122 - Free our souls

Carol and Daryl, Commonwealth

As Quinn and Negan were about to fall asleep next door, Carol and Daryl were putting the kids to sleep after all of them took a shower.

"Hey," said Carol strictly. "I'd prefer if you slept in two separate beds."

Henry rolled his eyes.

"Mom!" he said.

"No, she's right," said Daryl strictly. "We don't want any kid pregnancy here."

"What??" asked Lydia totally taken aback. "Jesus Christ, just don't talk about things like that! I'll sleep on the couch..." she stated.

"Sooner or later you need to hear about "things like that"," said Carol scoldingly.

"Mom, we are not doing anything like that!" Henry insisted.

"Stop. I don't wanna hear it either," stated Daryl equally strictly as Carol.

"What are you even talking about?" asked Judith, completely not getting it.

"You'll know when you're older," said Carol flashing a quick smile at the little girl while she placed a pillow and a blanket on the couch.

"At least let me sleep on the couch, you should have the bed," offered Henry. Lydia shrugged her shoulder.

"It doesn't matter which one," she said.

"Just make up your mind, jeez," said Carol. Daryl patted Henry's shoulder while Lydia prepared her spot on the other couch, which was a bit bigger than Henry's. Carol brought Judith and RJ to another room. RJ almost immediately fell asleep. Daryl stood by the door, watching Carol trying to get Judith to sleep.

"I'm just not that sleepy," said Judith quietly, not to wake up her little brother.

"You are tired, it's just this place is unfamiliar. Once you get used to it, you'll fall asleep in no time," Carol explained gently, quietly. Judith nodded understandingly. Daryl glanced back above his shoulder to check on Henry on the couch, but he was already asleep too. He turned his eyes back at Carol. She was stroking Judith's head gently.

"It's okay. Henry and Lydia are in the next room and we will be in the other room," said Carol quietly.

"What did you mean by kid pregnancy?" Judith asked suddenly. "Lydia could give birth to a baby?" she asked. Daryl turned his eyes embarrassed to the ground while Carol smiled at the little girl.

"Yes, Lydia reached that age when she could, but she shouldn't yet," stated Carol.

"How are babies made?" asked Judith with the pure innocence and curiosity of a child. Daryl exhaled sharply and this time, he turned his eyes to the ceiling.

"Holy shit," he growled.

"Language!" said Judith keeping her voice down. Daryl glanced at her.

"Sorry," he said smiling.

"Okay, you really don't have to worry about that right now," Carol answered smiling at the little girl gently. "You'll know when the time comes."

"Okay..." Judith gave in, she was barely able to keep her eyes open. "I'm tired," she said as she let out a yawn.

"Yes, you are," said Carol still stroking the top of her head. Judith turned around in bed and seemed to be falling asleep. Carol slowly stood up and tiptoed to the door. Daryl stepped outside, Carol followed her and she closed the door, but not entirely, leaving a little gap. Their eyes met. They couldn't help but giggle quietly, because of Judith's questions. Carol glanced at Henry and then at Lydia while still having a smile on her face. Daryl made sure the front door was locked. Then he followed Carol to their bedroom. She took off her cardigan and neatly placed it on top of a drawer. Daryl closed the door behind him and when Carol turned to face him their eyes met. A couple of minutes of silence followed.