Chapter 64 - The Saviour

Quinn, Hilltop's ruins

I didn't see anything from the smoke, yet I tried to stumble my way out.

I ran into a walker, I got startled, but I quickly pushed it away from me and stabbed it in the head.

Someone grabbed my arm, I held my knife up, to defend myself.

"Quinn, come on!" Carol yelled at me and pulled me out of the smoke. I was coughing a little, then my breathing got back to normal as we were running away. Henry was with her.

"There you are! I was looking for you!" I told Henry as we were running into the woods.

"Sorry, I lost you in the crowd," said Henry, he was really gloomy again.

"Where's Lydia?" I asked.

"She disappeared in the crowd too," said Carol. When we got between the trees we slowed down.

"Quinn!" Eugene called my name, I got flinched.

"Eugene..." I breathed out slowly, then I hugged him. I was so tired and I was shaking, it reminded me of the night when Eugene went missing, our first encounter with the whisperers... I got chills, in a bad sense.

"Are you alright?" asked Eugene.

"Sure. Sorry," I said and let him go quickly. "I'm just happy to see you," I smiled. Eugene smiled at me too. Then I noticed Yumiko and Magna behind him. I nodded to them. So Magna got out of the cave? Maybe Connie too?

"Heyl," Yumiko greeted me, but Magna seemed really out of it, she was so weary, barely able to stand.

"Magna! Are you alright?" I asked.

She nodded silently, but she didn't look good at all.

We walked deep into the woods for a while without saying a word, when Yumiko stopped.

"We should take a break. Magna's barely able to walk," she said and helped her to a fallen tree to sit down. Eugene packed out the remains of the radio and started tinkering with it.

"I'm sure Lydia got out," I whispered to Henry when I saw his face. He looked at me.

"I lost her again," he said.

"We will find her, she must be around here somewhere."

Henry nodded and exhaled sharply. He sat down too.

Magna started to recount what happened to her and Connie. Carol and I were listening.

Of course, almost immediately Yumiko confronted Carol.

"Yumiko, please, stop," I asked her.

"You shut up! You are defending her because you are besties, but this woman here killed Connie! And almost killed Magna, too!" she said very angrily then stepped to Carol and continued with her monologue, then punched Carol in the face. Henry sprang to his feet.

"Mom!" he said and hurried to her side. Carol turned around and left, Henry following her. I was staring, speechless. I'm not proud of it, but I just froze. Unfortunately, Yumiko was right... I exchanged glances with Eugene.

"Magna... can I do anything for you?" I asked politely.

"Yeah, you can leave her alone," answered a very angry Yumiko instead.

"No, thanks," said Magna calmly, sincerely. I nodded and left them there. I headed after Carol. Eugene followed me.

Carol was sitting on a fallen tree with Henry.