44. Cigs

Sam's pov

The familiar scent of burnt cigarettes filled my nose. Now I'm not smoking, I just happen to be around it at the moment. Maybe I should start again for the heck of it, I could really use one right now. I had quit a few years back because well, I didn't like the taste it left in my mouth.

Then again, that's part of the reason why at least. Call me whipped but, Kate made it clear that she didn't want me smoking. She said I was only harming my body. I remember the concerned expression on her face and the way she looked when she lectured me on it.

In that moment I had felt that there was so much more she wanted to convey and I was right. All those years her feelings were the same as mine. So why is she making this so difficult. If she wants to be with me I'll happily oblige.

Instead, she continues to use Dylan as an excuse. I decided to occupy the dimly lit section of the bar. It seemed befitting of my current mood. Me alone with my thoughts and a glass of warm bourbon, ha, sounds about right.

One bourbon down and I've already been hit on five times. Mind you, they were all very attractive. If they had asked me a month ago I would have said yes to all of them. What has she done to me.

Kate's POV

It's now twenty minutes after one, Sam hasn't returned home yet. Dylan's fast asleep beside me. Slowly maneuvering myself out of the bed, I walk into the living room.

I decide to call her to make sure she's alright and to gauge how much of a mess I made. Pressing a few buttons, I speed dial Sam. It rings for a while, I guess she doesn't want to talk to me.

A pit sinks in my stomach, leaving me with an unpleasant feeling. A raspy voice answers the phone before I went to end the call. My heart leapt out of my chest and relief consumed me.

"Sam", I shouted forgetting for a moment that Dylan's sleeping in the room not too far.

"What do you want", she begrudgingly asked.

"I.. I just.. wanted to know that you were alright", I said suddenly feeling a bit down.

Sam makes a load guttural noise on the other end of the phone then silence quickly follows.

"Sam.....", I call out looking at my phone to see if she hung up on me.

"What's our relationship Kate, because I can't seem to fathom why you insist on blowing up my phone at odd hours, asking me where I am and to come home. Your sending me mixed signals here. Me being the dumb sap allowing you to do it, what kind of fuckery is this", she yells.

Laughter follows right after.

I understand where she's coming from and I know I have to give her an answer. But right now's not the time given the fact that she sounds a bit drunk. And it's not sitting right with me, her being out this late like that.

"Sam where are you right now, you don't sound like yourself", I ask grabbing a pair of shorts and a sweat shirt from her room.

I place the phone down for a second to quickly change, having it on speaker now.

"Who gives a fuck really", she says.

"I do, now look around and tell me where you are, I'm coming to get you", I say phone now in hand.

Grabbing the first pair of shoes I see and Dylan's keys.

"I'm not going in that dick for brains' car", she spat.

"Sam this is not the time to be acting childish", I scolded.

Silence meets on the other end of the phone. I check my phone again. Realising I'm still on call I call out her name, holding my head in frustration.

"Tell me where you are", I reminded.

"Hemming Lane".

"Okay, stay put I'll be right there".

Heading out the door and into the truck I make my way to Sam.

Sam's POV

The cold night air nipping at my face and filling my lungs. The cigs providing temporary ailment in keeping me warm. Laying completely flat on the cold hard ground that I assume is a park since its very decorated as far as I've seen.

It's quiet, which is both good and bad. Good, because I can finally organise my thoughts and bad, well, those thoughts seem to only be about Kate.

"fuuuuuck", I yell at the top of my lungs not caring for those that would ridicule me for my actions.

Needing more booze to drown my sorrows, I get up in search for some. I struggle to find my footing for awhile, but that doesn't stop me from achieving my goal. Ughhh thats more like it. The familiar burning of the dark rum as it moves down my throat.

Looking around at the things going on around me. I notice a couple holding hands and laughing, cheery smiles that reach their eyes. Taking a swig at the sight, my phone rings. I knew exactly who it was by the ringtone.

"What", I answered not bothering to hide my annoyance.

"I thought I told you to stay put Sam".

"Went for more booze", I stated.

Kate let's out a heavy sigh, " Can you please stay put this time...please".

Why is she going through all this trouble, just leave me alone.

"Sam", she calls out expecting an answer.

"Yeah yeah I'll stay put".

Not long, blinding lights point in my direction and giving me a brief headache. The honk of the horn sounded right after. What the hell is this person's problem. I remain seated, not paying them any mind. Drawing another cig to my mouth, I begin to light it.

"Samantha", a familiar voice urgently shouts from the vehicle.

Great, she found me, I muttered taking a few puffs. She walks up to me anger clearly written all over her face.

"Your smoking", she points out.

"Obviously, have you seen this body, wait of course you have", I state taking a pose but stumble having taken too much liquor.

A disappointed look spread across her face. Who is she to have such a look, it's her fault that I'm acting like this. She snatches the bud from between my fingers, not giving it a second thought she tosses it towards the ground.

"Come on let's go", she says supporting me as she leads me to the car.

"No, I told you, I'm not setting foot in this car", I said fighting to get away from the truck.

With not much effort needed, Kate got me inside the car and drove us both home. She had planned to scold me the entire ride home, which was more than enough to encourage a headache to surge.

"Where are the rest", she asks parking the car and turning off the engine.

In pain, I only managed a grunt.

"Sam where's the box of cigarettes. I know you have more, give them to me", she ordered.

She curses beneath her breath when I don't move to get them, deciding to look herself.

"Really Sam, you used up more than half a box of cigarettes tonight", now pissed she stashes them in the trucks compartment slamming it shut.

The noise sending a sharp pain to my now throbbing head.