34. Red

Sam's pov

Kate's been acting off lately. Not that I blame her I mean, I did mess up by mistaking her for Cass. I am trying to make up for it. By forgetting about it and being her driver for today. But I guess I need to do a little more.

She still seems a little upset about it. Right now I'm in the truck just waiting out for her. It gets real boring very quickly so I decided to hop out and hang around inside. I'm not going to interfere with her work or anything. I'll just sit around close by.

"Good morning, what can I get you today", the barista chimed.

Ain't she a ray of sunshine. Her smile is sweet and her teeth are the most white I've ever seen.

"Well good morning to you too", I reply.

Her smile is contagious. She's dressed like every other barista, but she's rocking it nonetheless. Her hair is also red and she has a dash of freckles across the bridge of her nose.

"Can I have a white chocolate coffee with french vanilla drip, whip cream and a dash of cinnamon" .

"Oooh nice, coming right up", she says commending my choice and sends a wink my way before heading to the machine to make my joe.

I like this girl already, she's adorable.

"What's your name", she asks moments later arriving with my concoction.

My phone pings but I ignore it.

"Samantha, friends call me Sam".

"Sam", she says trying it out as she wrote it on the cup.

I looked at her with a raised eyebrow. She pours it into the cup and adds the finishing touches. She sends a raised eyebrow back slowly pushing the cup towards me. I take the cup, closing my eyes when the scent of cinnamon hits my nose. 

Taking a moment to savor the aroma of the cinnamon. I open my eyes to see that she's  leaning on the counter her head propped on her hand watching me with a triumphant smile.

As if she knows something I don't. Blowing and taking my first sip. My taste buds were welcomed with a warm, creamy and soothing taste. It was the best I ever had.

My eyes open wide at her, "Call me whatever you want", I praised.

"Sam is fine", she giggles wiping down the counter.

"Why, yes I am", I boasted combing my fingers through my hair dramatically.

She smiles shaking her head and rolling her eyes. Another ping comes from my phone but I don't pay it any mind.

"So what's your name, red", I ask crossing my arms onto the counter as I leaned in closer towards her.

She walks over to me, adjusting her hat on her head.

"Red works for now", she says leaning in as well inches away from my face.

She looks down at my lips trying to bite back a smile and then looks back at me. Instead of my phone pinging, it rings this time. Annoyed I look over at the caller's ID to yell at whoever is being a major taco blocker.

"Someone really wants to talk to you", she implies leaving to serve another customer.

Not before she hands me a napkin, motioning to my face. To my horror i had the most embarrassing whipcream mustaches in the world. Why you ask, because it's in front of a pretty girl.

I look at her bewildered, she smiles at me and continues handling the machine. I had already answered the call placing it to my ear.

"Hello", I asked awkwardly turning to face the caller herself.

Kate's still sitting where I last saw her, but this time she's alone.

"I've been texting you this entire time", she says annoyed.

I know because I'm watching her frantically swing her arms around in anger. It's quite funny actually.

"Well I'm right here what's up, are you ready to go home", I asked.

She ends the call and crosses her arms, looking at me expectantly. Come on, is she still mad. Walking towards her was so nerve wrecking. It feels like I'm about to be scolded and not in a good way.

"So are you ready to go home", I repeated trying to sound as casual as possible but on the inside I was hella nervous.

"Watcha got there", she asks all sweet like.

Now I'm confused but relieved at the same time.

"Umm it's coffee".

"I see you made a new friend, good for you", she says staring at the barista behind the counter with a vindictive look in her eyes.

I take a seat across from her nursing my cup. I was about to reply when she started again.

"I don't think Cass would like that, do you", she retorts.

"No, if we were dating, she wouldn't", I agreed taking a few sips.

I watch as the wheels turn in her head and the knot in her forehead loosens a little.

"Then I guess you'll be calling coffee girl", she tilts her head towards the barista.

"What do you mean, I didn't even get her number".

"Sure about that", she asks pointing to my cup.

Sure enough red's number was written in marker below my name, along side a winky face. I smiled at that looking back at the barista who returned it and resumed her duties.

I store her number into my phone and return my attention back to Kate only to see her more upset than before. But before I could call her out on it, I'm interrupted again.