55. Unexpected

White walls surround me and the smell of disinfectants fill the air. I can hear the steady beat of a machine beside me. Am I in a hospital bed. How did I get here, why am I here. My head begins to pound, I grimace in pain.

" Oh y- you're awake, thank God. How are you feeling. Are you alright. The doctor, I'm gunna go fetch the doctor", Dylan says stumbling out of the room before I could stop him.

Alone with my thoughts, I think back to what had happened before arriving here. Dinner...I was having dinner with Dylan and his parents.

Then....

'Sam', I thought. I remember seeing her there. I look around my room, hoping to find her asleep in the chair nearby. Instead, I turn to find my clothes I wore for dinner draped across it. Maybe she's outside waiting to hear from the doctor and any minute now she'll burst through the door to see me.

"Ms. Danvers you're awake, wonderful. First I just wanna say, congrats -

"What...on passing out. I don't think being stressed out to that extent is something to be congratulated doc", I chuckled coldly.

The doctor stands along the left side of my bed looking over his clipboard and at the monitors nearby as the nurse stands at my feet and Dylan on my right.

" Uhh no, you passed out from over working yourself. Women in your condition are expected to stay off of their feet as much as possible.", he reiterated.

" Women in my condition", I asked a bit annoyed.

"Pregnant... Anyway, make sure she...", he begins giving orders to the nurse or maybe it was Dylan. I had stopped paying attention.

'Pregnant', the word bounced around in my head. My brain refusing to make sense of the word. I didn't know what to do at this point, how to feel.

" ...Katie", Dylan calls out.

"Yeah".

" Are you okay, I was calling your name for a while. I was wondering how you were feeling about all this".

"I- I'm fine. Where's the doctor".

"He left a while ago, are you sure you're okay".

"Yes Dylan, Jesus Christ", I yelled.

It went completely silent after that.

"I'm sorry I just... I just need a minute".

And without another word, Dylan handed me my phone and left. Finally alone with my thoughts, I think about what the doc told me. I'm pregnant, please....he must be mistaken. There's no way...right, I thought as I cradled my stomach.
I didn't have any words to how I felt in this moment.

In an attempt to take my mind off of it, I open my phone and peruse through it. A few messages from Sam..but these were sent before Dylan and I arrived at the restaurant.

I remember...she was upset that I bailed on our date. I thought about what had happened between Sam and I during our last conversation. That's when it hit me, like a truck load of bricks. She said she was leaving....but where.

Im sure it's just for a little while, like last time.

'She'll be back. She always comes back', I say to myself in attempt to ease the worriness that's about to bubble over any second.

A message from Dylan comes into view.

Dylan: The doc said you can go home once your feeling up to it. So text when your ready to leave, I'm just outside.

Feeling a bit shitty for blowing up at him earlier, I respond immediately.

Me: I'm ready to leave.

With that, the car ride was scarcely quiet. Too quiet to bare...my thoughts becoming the loudest thing here and the last thing I want to focus on.

I have chronic writers block man ☹. Ive been sitting on this chapter since I had published the last😅😅. Im not happy ending it like this, with that being said..I have not given up ✊😠. Wouldn't it be funny if I did end it like this though 😂😂😅