54. Hasty Decisions

Kate's POV

As Sam heads out the door on her way to her date, my phone rings.

" Hey babe, don't forget we're supposed to have dinner with my parents this evening".

Shit, I totally forgot about that. And it's not like I can just bail again. I already called in sick the last time.

" Are you okay", he asked.

" What.. of course why wouldnt I be".

" I dont know..I mean you swore so I just thought you stubbed your toe or something".

"Oh umm yh ...yeah I just dropped my-

My eyes roam around my room looking for something that'll help me out of this situation.

"Flat- iron".

" Oh ok well, be careful and I'll see you a little later".

I sighed after ending the call. I don't want to cancel on Sam but cancelling on Dylan again will just bring questions that I don't have answers to. So much for my date with Sam.

Opening messenger to text Sam, I remember that she's on a date- or whatever she calls it. I decide against texting her- don't want to interrupt. I head to my closet and begin looking for an acceptable outfit for tonight.

~A few hours later ~

"Dylan we gotta go or else they'll be pissed. Your parents already hate me enough. I don't need them having another reason to", I yell from the truck.

Fifteen minutes were remaining when I had thought we'd be on time for dinner and Dylan realizes he's left something behind at his place. Fan - freaking- tastic.

He exits the house as he stuffs something in his coat and returns to the truck with the biggest grin on his face I've ever seen.

"They don't hate you...they're just stubborn and anti social".

I look at him not believing him for a second. I guess he found what he was looking for, now we can finally leave.

" I admit that they can be very prickly but I promise sooner or later they'll soften up".

I sure hope he's right, I said to myself  as I stared through the window beside me. I stayed like this the entire ride. Until we eventually arrived at dinner ....ten minutes late. His parents already seated at our reserved table where the waiter is serving their meal.

" So nice for you to join us son. Your father thought you had stood us up for a second time", she says with a eyebrow arched.

I know the last part was meant for me because she sends a glare my way for a quick moment.

"Guys you remember Kate", Dylan starts out to say.

Here we go.

"Good evening Mr and Mrs. Ferne", I greet them as Dylan pulls a chair out for me.

I get no response. Well, I did get a grunt from Mr. Ferne. Or maybe he was just clearing his throat...I don't know.

Discussions run smoothly..at least from what I can gather. It's best that I don't say anything and I'm really not much in the mood for conversation anyways. I just nod my head assuringly, when it seems required and look attentive from time to time -pretending to show interest.

I glance at my phone from now and again, hoping to get a call or text to excuse myself from the table. Having no luck, I settle for focussing on my plate or looking around at others that chose to dine here as well.

Lo and behold my gaze sets upon familiar pair of eyes. Eyes that bore into my very being. Making me feel as though I had nowhere to hide. They sent goosebumps all over my body. Nerves bubble up within me and I become a bit self conscious about what I'm wearing.

Which isn't too revealing...I don't think. I mean a maxi dress that's off the shoulder and has two slits in front with a pair of transparent heels isn't too much, right.

" Would you all excuse me, I'll be right back", I quickly said not bothering to look up.

" Are you okay", Dylan asks.

" Yeah ..I'm fine I just need to use the restroom".

" Well hurry back, I have potentially big news to share", Dylan beamed.

I ask a waiter close by for the directions to the restroom as not to waste time. She points to a corridor a distance away from our table and just two feet from where those piercing eyes sat. A woman that sat with her shared her glance and saw me- quickly turning her attention back to Sam.

'Bitch', I thought.

I make a bee line for the bathroom, trying desperately to get my feelings -whatever they were- under control. On entering the bathroom, I immediately start pacing the floor trying to organise my jumbled thoughts.

Dylan's parents are never gunna like me, and why should they. I'm a fucking cheater. I sneak around to sleep with someone else. Not just anyone, but my bestfriend. My best friend that told me she loves me. Yet here I am having dinner with Dylan's parents like everything's dandy.

On top of all that, I can't stop these images of Sam taking me in this bathroom. What the fuck is wrong with me. Feeling defeated I switch the faucet on and lean over the counter with my eyes shut as I listen to the water run.

Desperately trying to bury these thoughts, someone enters the bathroom. Nothing can be heard but the sound of the water and the slow paced steps they take.

What catches my attention is that these steps are not one of clicking heels but scuffs from worn shoes, my eyes open at this. A cold sweat engulfs my body and a shiver runs up my spine.

"Are you hiding from me", she asks with a sultry look in her eyes.

Her voice low and a bit rough, I could've sworn she growled at me. Her head leaned to the side, her hair falling along her shoulder and her hands hidden in the sides of her pockets. She wore a low cut white top along with a navy blue pant suit and a pair of matching sneakers.

I can't find words to respond, not sure of what to say. I want her, that much is true. But I also have no intention of breaking it off with Dylan....what do i do. I don't want to mislead her anymore than I have until I've figured out what I want.

Remaining on her side of the room, she slowly paces the floor before me. Her hands remaining in her pockets.

" Please don't tell me you bailed on our plans, so you can have dinner with his parents", Sam asks.

I open my mouth to speak but nothing comes out. She nods her head in understanding. Looking at the ground in complete thought. She quickly makes her way to me and stops. Her eyes fixed to the ground the entire time. With a heavy sigh she takes my hands into her and looks up at me, her eyes filled with sadness.

" You know I just don't understand you. We clearly feel the same about eachother- safe to say more than the other-yet we find ourselves here at a drawn out stand still. I've been patient, understanding.... I've done everything to convey my feelings for you and it still not enough", she begins drawing circles behind my hands with her thumbs.

A disgusting feeling sits in my stomach and a ball forms at the back of my throat as I listen intently to what she's saying. She takes a minute, looking away from me. Then returns her gaze and continues, " So, I'm going to do us both the favor and  leave".

I don't know what happens next, my mind went blank after that. 'Leave', what does she mean by that.