16. Stace Gibson

Kate's POV

"Kate I'm gunna take Cass home I'll be back in a few", Sam yelled out.

I'm wrapped tighter than a swaddled baby in my bed. Trying to cypher through everything that has happened so far. How did I not see
the signs.

Were there any. Ever since our first semester, we've been spending less time together. Don't get me wrong, she's been there for me over the years, but I always knew something was up.

I always knew she was hiding something, distancing herself from
me. Now I know why. My bestfriend is gay. What I don't seem to get, is why she didn't think to tell me.

I mean come on, I'm her bestfriend right. Bestfriends tell each other everything, the good and the bad. I don't know if I should be upset with her or not.

I'm so confused, too much emotions and questions running through my head. In reference to last night, I know that it takes Sam less than an
hour to get back.

So I use this time to head into work early today. I'm not ready to talk to her yet. I can already sense the levels of teenage hormones driving into the school yard.

Entering the teachers lounge, I'm greeted by a fellow faculty member, Ms. Rose, she's a few years older than me and teaches home ec.

"Katie your here early", she says with a bright smile.

She's over at the kitchenette, fixing up her go-to cup of tea. Wearing a brown pant suit with a coral blouse and her hair in a bun with small tendrils down the sides of her face.

"Um yeah I decided to show up early to get ahead of some paperwork", I mean it's not really a lie, right.

"Oh how diligent of you, but I'm glad you're here I need your expertise on something", she says blowing at her tea and taking a sip, she continues.

"There's this student, Stace Gibson, top of my class. She's been off lately on her baking, hasn't shown up for a few of my classes and I've noticed some of the students bullying her".

"I've tried asking her about it but she brushes off the subject, saying that it's nothing, can you talk to her for me".

"Rose that's not how guidance couselor works, we don't force students into talking about their problems. It's a choice, if she or any other student has a problem they would have to want to talk to me".

She sighed, looking down into her cup for a few moments and returned her gaze to me, a smile on her face.

"Don't worry about that, I have an idea. She's in my next class, if she shows up today I'll send her here afterwards".

She looks down at her watch and walks to the sink to wash out her cup.

"Speaking of class I have to get going".

"How do you know she'll show", I yell before she leaves the room.

"She's a good girl", she says peering behind the door and closes it as she leaves.

Well, at least I'll be busy for today. I take a few minutes to lounge in the couch before I get up and make my way to my office.

It was a bit of a struggle focussing on my paper work with the thought of Sam invading my mind every now and again. I keep asking myself how did I not know.

Playing back every time we hung out, if there was ever a time she looked at another girl that way, but nothing comes up. Then again there aren't many of them where we hung out due to her distancing herself from me.

I let out a long sigh, burying my face into my palms. Hearing the door click, I looked up to see a student standing there, a girl to be exact. I guess she's Stace, how did Rose get her to show up.

"Ms. Rose said if I showed up she'd raise my grades up a bit, so let's get this over with. I'd rather not spend my break talking to you, no offense", she remarked as she threw herself in one of the chairs directly in front of my desk.

Wow, rude much. My hand now clasped in front of my face as I lean forward, focussed on the girl.

"If your not going to talk then I'm leaving", she says going for her bag.

"Why are you here Stace", I asked.

"What do you mean 'why', I told you why", she says furrowing her eyebrows.

"Why do you think Ms. Rose had to bribe you to get you into my office".

"Perfect choice of words, she's an annoying teacher who doesn't mind her own business".

"You've been skipping out on some of her classes, why is that", I asked next.

"What's with all the questions", she says rolling her eyes and crossing her arms.

I sigh, leaning back into my seat and lifting up my legs, crossed onto a corner of my desk, of course I'm not wearing a skirt.

"Okay Stace, cut the crap we both know your being bullied".

"And it's my problem, I don't remember asking any of you for help".

"Your right you didn't, so I'm not going to".

She looked at me with a confused look on her face.

"Are you really a guidance counsellor".

"No, that's just a cover, I'm actually a super hero who fights crime bringing evil doers to justice", I finish now standing giving my best supergirl pose.

A small smile appears on her face, " Your crazy", she says.

"Being bullied is your obstacle to face, I'd just like you to talk about it with me. But that'll have to be for next time, I don't want to take up your entire break. So think about it, if you want to talk we can tomorrow during lunch".

"Okay, I'll think about it", she says as she grabs her bag, leaving.