10. Memories

Kate's cont'd

I slowly mount the bike after placing my helmet on my head. 

"Relax Kate, I've got us", she says placing my hands around her waist.

I try to think of other things to distract myself from the fact that I'm on this death trap, but my thoughts are in shambles.

I shut my eyes tight and hold on to her for dear life. Next thing I knew we were at the park.

"Kate .....geez Kate."

"Huh".

"Finally, you hear me ", "We've been sitting on this bike for an entire five minutes." "Is it that bad riding on my bike". 

"Oh sorry", I quickly release my hold on her. 

"It's this way", she says leading the way.

I follow in silence, which is a bit awkward for me so I chose to continue our conversation at the restaurant. 

"So, do I know this friend of yours".

"No she's a friend from my highschool years".

"Oh, it's a she".

Why do I feel a little relieved about that.  

"Yeah". 

We're now leaving the paved path and into the mowed lawn of the park towards a familiar tree.

"Is that", I ask. 

"Sure is", she replies smiling at me. 

I didn't realize where we were going until I saw the tree. This is the place where Sam and I would hang out after school.

We both loved this place. It was like a home away from home. The tree has branching trunks that we would climb up and course leaves that provided us with shade and shelter from the rain.

Sam started to climb up the tree and seemed pretty determined in accomplishing whatever it is she had planned. 

"Sam where are you going", I ask her in a loud whisper. 

"I'll be down in a minute I just want to see if it's still here", she mumbles. 

I take a seat at the base of the tree in wait for Sam to come down. The air is clear and the wind blows ever so softly upon my face.

I close my eyes and allow the nostalgic aura consume me. The blissful moment was cut short by the breaking of branches and a thud that followed.

My heart leapt out of my chest by the surprise and suddenly trippled seeing Sam crouched on the ground. Before I
could react she jumped to her feet and turned to me with the hugest smile on her face. 

"What's wrong with you, you could have seriously hurt yourself with that stunt". 

"I'm fine, I'm fine see, no broken bones", she says swinging her arms around. 

"But I am tired from all that climbing, I think I'm gunna take a short nap", she says walking towards me. 

"Wait, no, no yo- you can't, we have to get back, I have to get dinner started", I say as she nears closer to me and places her head in my lap.

There's no stopping Sam, she just falls asleep in my lap. Minutes have already passed, looking around and taking the scenery of the park.

My eyes then look down at a sleeping Sam in my lap, she looks so innocent and so vulnerable like this. She has twigs and leaves stuck in her hair from climbing the tree, I laugh at this.

I pick them out when she suddenly grabs my hand holding onto it. My entire body freezes, not knowing how to react to this sudden contact.

Uncertain of what to do, I start with trying to calm my racing heart. Why the hell am I acting like this. Taking a few deep breaths, I call out her name to see if she's awake. There's no response, so I take that as a go ahead to speak my mind. 

"Why have you been so closed off lately, why is it so hard to get answers from you. There are so many questions that you always leave unanswered, I want to know, we're friends after all. You can tell me anything". 

She's so secretive and keeps to herself most of the time, she's just like a cat. I lightly giggle at the thought, she really does act like a cat. 

It's now officially time to get home and start cooking. I shake Sam awake and we both head back to her bike. One more ride on this death trap and then you won't have to see it again, just one more Katelyn. I prepare myself for the horrendous ride home and mount the bike.