50. Unfinished

Sam's POV

"Hey, I told you I'm fine", I tilt her head upward.

A sad expression on her face. I place a quick peck on the tip of her nose. Her face lights up, but only for a few seconds before returning to a sullen state. Determined to see a smile, I raid her entire face with kisses. Her laughter fills the room,  blessing my ears and a smile that's prominent on her face.

"There she is".

She looks up at me for a moment. Her eyes twinkle as strands of her hair lay across her face. I guide a few behind her ear. Her eyes close at this as if enjoying my touch.

"Kate", I whisper.

Her eyes open immediatley, her gaze on me not wavering.

"I lo-", the doorbell rings before I can say another word.

My attention goes to the door, who the fuck thought it was cool to bud in.

"Babe... You there", Kurt calls out.

Great that guys here. The door begins to unlock, but seems to be taking a while.

"I should help him", Kate mutters attempting to leave for the door but I have her trapped between me and the counter.

"Sam come on  I have to get the door".

"No", I mutter.

"Fine, but we still have to keep our distance before he sees."

The door opens with a thud.

"Shit", Dylan whispers.

Reluctantly, I step aside allowing her to leave.

"Hey, don't make that face", she says grabbing hold of my hand to comfort me.

Sadly, it had no effect.

"Sorry", I reply removing my hand out of hers.

I left for my room without another word.

Kate's POV

I fucked up again. What was Sam about to say. It's not what Im thinking, right. I mean she couldn't have intended to say she loves me, right. My heart races just by the thought.

"What are you so happy about", Dylan says with a smirk on his face.

I forgot I was sitting with him for a moment.

"Me...I'm just thinking how lucky I am to have such a thoughtful boyfriend", I smile at him and continue to eat.

A door shuts and in walks Sam grabbing her keys. I steal a glance at her, our eyes meet for a millisecond before she leaves for the door. Her hair down in beautiful curls, sporting her leather jacket with a loose tank top and she's wearing makeup.

She walks out without a word. Where is she going, I've never seen her wear makeup before. Is she going on a date with someone. It's probably that girl she was on the phone with earlier. My heart aches at the thought.

"Uh, oh where'd happy Kate go".

"What.. she's still here. I just remembered all the extra work I have to get done tomorrow".

"Don't stress about it too much. You were sick, it can't be helped", he reassures me.

He suggested we continue our meal over a movie to take my mind off of it.

"You go on and pick one, I'm just going to freshen up".

I grab my phone and make my way to my bathroom, dialing Sam in the process. I need to know what she was about to tell me and why she had such a look on her face.

Sam's POV

Never thought I'd be so greatful for work. I got a call from my boss asking me to come in since Tanner called in sick. Its unexpected but I so needed the distraction tonight.

"Well, if it isn't my favorite bartender".

"Hello Richard".

I flash a quick smile at him and head to the back of the bar. Putting my things away into a locker, my phone rings. It's Kate, I look at the phone for a moment trying to calm my nerves before answering.

"Yeah".

"Umm.. are you okay".

"Peachy, Kate".

"I mean, I'm just asking because you left in such a hurry-"

"I just don't want to be there...besides, I got called in for work".

"Oh... Oh ok well.. What time will you be back".

Why does it matter what time I'll be back. She really needs to make up her mind.

"Dont worry, I'll give you two privacy and stay over at a friend's tonight."

"That's--".

"Sam, hurry up in the back there", my boss calls out.

"I got to go Kate", with that I hung up and returned to the front.

Everything went by as usual. Young and old having a good time, music blasting, cheering and laughter. Danny had stopped by for a few drinks and left a little later. Thoughts of Kate slowly creep to the surface.

Throwing my attention into my work to rid me of these thoughts, I spot someone at the corner of my eye.
'No, it can't be. She's at home with Dylan'.

These thoughts are becoming ridiculous because now I'm seeing things. A voice calls me in the same direction of my hallucination. My heart leaps out of my chest when I see the girl that's invading my mind. It takes a moment before I respond.

I leave for my boss to call for a break. Kate still standing where I left her. I took her hand in mine and led her at the back of the bar. The loud booming now subdude as I closed the door behind us. I took a breath and turned around to face her.

"So.. what brings you here", I ask ready to get to the point.

"I ...I like your hair".

Frustrated at her response I run my hands through my hair and take a few steps back.

"Kate you came all the way here just to tell me you like my hair".

"No I - I came here..to ask you something", she says grabbing hold of her arm and looks at the ground.

"Okaayy".

She hadn't said anything for a minute but it felt like hours.

"Heeey, what's up. What did you want to ask me", I ask lifting her chin so she'll look up at me.

"What.... What were you about to say before Dylan showed up".

Hmm, that's what this is about. If she came all this way to find me, then maybe...maybe theres something there. Or maybe I'm just being too optimistic.

"How'd you get here".

" I.. I called a cab. Look, why are you changing the subject", she asks a bit annoyed.

"Sam, enough chitchat get back out here", boss shouted.

"Relax, I'll be out in a minute", I yelled back.

I grab a hold of her hands to calm her down.

"Look.. I'm off in a few hours. Then we'll both head home and finish this talk, yeah", I suggested.

"Yeah, sure".

I kiss the back of her hand and head out with her right behind me.
Let's get the rest of this night over and done with.