49. A Favor

Kate's POV

Sam leaves after kissing my forehead. The amount of butterflies in my stomach right now can not explain the amount of happiness, anger and embarrassment I'm feeling.

"What was that about", Dylan asks.

"W-what do you mean" , I ask turning to face him after successfully burying my feelings.

"What's with you and Sam, is there something going on that I should know about", he asks raising his voice.

I looked at him for a moment unsure of what to say. My lips moved without my permission to answer his question. His expression changed from anger to calm.

"Sorry babe, Sam has just gotten under my skin. Of course you two are only friends", he chuckles giving me a bear hug.

I don't know what I said, but it seemed to calm him down. My heart's beating a million times per minute. I'm so gunna kill Sam when I see her.

"Maybe I should leave so you can get some rest, your face really is a bit red".

"Yeah..maybe I should", I agree hiding the side of my face.

Sam's POV

Another good run to start the day. I just completed five miles when my phone rings. Who could that be, I wonder. Answering via Bluetooth, a feminine voice calls out my name.

"Hey red, whats up", I answered.

"I know we just met but I was just wondering if you could do me this tiny favor", she asks a bit nervously.

"No worries, what's up".

"My father wants me to give a speach at his grand opening this weekend and he's expecting to see my significant other there. She pauses for a while. So what I'm trying to say is that, can you step in as my partner... It'll only be for that night. I'll owe you one big time....please".

I chuckled at how frantic she was being.

"Having a gorgeous girl like yourself at my side is payment enough".

She laughs at my statement, which in turn calmed her nerves. Unlocking the door, I enter the loft. Katelyn should be at school about now.

"A sweet talker like you is just what I need for this weekend".

"Well thank you, what's the attire for this event", I asked heading into the kitchen for a fruit and a glass of water.

Putting the glass to my lips I turn around to see Kate still wrapped in a blanket. I throw her a questioning look but she says nothing, so I return to my call.

"Don't worry about it, just text me your measurements and I'll have a tailor handle the rest. Your a suit girl if my guess is correct".

"Yeah I'm totally a suit girl", I laughed.
A loud clash was made a few steps from me.

I looked to see Katelyn throwing utensils into the kitchen sink.

"Is everything okay", Rebecca asked.

Looking at Katelyn I can tell she's upset about something. I move closer to get a better read on her.

"Uhh.. yeah just a child needing discipline", I say as I give Katelyn a warning look.

She returns it with a glare of her own.
I point my finger in a scolding manner right before she throws another. She returns my gaze defiantly, propelling the utensil into the sink a moment later.

"Okay then, I'll keep you updated, later Sam".

"Later".

Kate's POV

Ending the call she turns her attention to me.

"I'm a child", I ask accusingly.

"What's this about", she asks refusing to answer.

"Nothing, there was a spider I got it".

She looked at me, as if not believing a word that came out of my mouth. Who was she talking to, not that I care, but she was laughing. Something she rarely does.

She leans towards me, closing the little distance between us. I continue to glare, not daring to break eye contact. She looks into my eyes as if she's trying to decipher what's inside.

Looking down she licks her lips slowly causing me to bite mine. Focus Kate your getting distracted. Sam needs to pay for what she did in front of Dylan and tell you who she was sharing laughs with during her call.

The side of her mouth tugs to the side as she peers over the sink. I take this time to look at...other things. Her toned stomach being a favorite of mine.

She stands upright and focuses her gaze to me, "So where is it", she asks.

What is she talking about, shit I almost forgot. Then again screw the spider.

"Who was that", I asked a bit aggressively.

"Jealous are we Kate", she asks.

In fact, I am jealous but I have no right to be. I'm already in a relationship. Despite my inability to choose who I really want to be with, Sam continues to be there for me. Wanting her all to myself is beyond selfish.

"Forget it", I say shaking my head.

I tighten my grip on my blanket pulling it closer around me as I fight the urge to cry. I walk away wanting to be anywhere but here right now.

"Wait up", she says grabbing me from behind.

Her hands now on either side of me. Her body slowly presses against mine as her arms wrap around me and her chin sits upon my shoulder.

"Theres no need to be jealous bug", she says to me softly.

"I told you, I'm not jealous and who are you calling bug", I said ramming my elbow at her side.

Sam grunts in pain, "shit Kate".

"Then why are your eyes all glassy like your about to cry", she grimaces rubbing at her side to soothe the pain.

I swipe my blanket across my eyes as Sam walks towards the counter leaning on it for support.
She looks like she's in pain, I didn't think I struck her that hard. I walked towards her, " Are you alright".

"Yeah, I'm used to this...just didn't expect for you to hit me...I'll be fine just...give me a second", she says between breathes.

I feel terrible, now she might have a bruise and it's all my fault.
I slowly grab her hand in mine, positioning myself between her and the counter.

"I'm sorry", I say placing my forehead on her shoulder.