35. Distant

Whoops, forgot to post yesterday. lo siento!!

Kate pov

"Ms danvers I gotta go my mom wants me back home".

"That's fine we'll catch up at school tomorrow".

"Hello Sam", she says casually.

"Sup kid", Sam greets her.

How do they know each other.

"You know the drill", she chimes raising her hand up.

They both do a small dance together. I think it was some sort of handshake.

"I'm so proud, you remembered it", Sam said wiping away an invisible tear.

She laughed and headed out with one last farewell. I had asked if she wanted a lift but she had already called for an uber.

"How do you two know each other", I asked obviously curious.

"From cooking class with Rosie", she said matter of factly.

"Rosie.., you mean Ms Rose", I cleared up.

She nods.

"Ready to go now", she asks.

"Yeah", I reply making my way to the car.

"Thanks for the coffee red, it was amazing".

"Anytime".

"Sam", I yell in annoyance as my blood begins to boil.

Now in the car and Sam still hasn't come out yet. What is taking her so long. Three long minutes and she finally appears from the cafe, a huge smile on her face. Of course she was flirting with the coffee girl, what did I expect. Come on Kate, you have a boyfriend think about him.

"Think about him", I tell myself.

"Think about who", Sam asks starting the engine. I didn't realize she was there.

"Who, uh no one", I say trying to brush off the topic.

"Theres something that's been bothering me a while now.. ", I start out saying to let her know that this is serious.

I turn to face her so I won't miss anything when I ask her this. She tenses a bit at the wheel realising the level of seriousness of this topic.
I push all my feelings aside in order to go through with this. I really want to know why.

"Why do you hate Dylan so much", I finally ask the question that's been knawing at me since day one.

Her expression went devoid of emotion. I couldn't read a thing on her face.

"Do you have anywhere else you'd like to go before I return this truck", she says avoiding the question.

I hate when she does that, when she closes herself off from me. She has to know that showing how you feel isn't weak, that leaning on someone or asking for help doesn't make you less. Or does she only do this to me. She has to be sharing those moments with someone, I just wish it was me.

"Sam", I warn her giving her an unavoidable glare.

She let's out a huge sigh and ruffles her hair frustratingly.

"I'm gunna return this truck first and then we'll finish this convo".

"Promise", I asked a little too urgently.

"yes yes I promise", she says with a forced smile crossing her heart.

The hour long ride was brutal, I never knew it to be this rough. Thinking about riding this back home on Sam's bike makes me a little nauseated. I should've decided on staying home when Sam offered to drop me first.

I screw down the window for some air to ease my nerves. Sam and I haven't spoken since her promise. Everytime I look her way I'd notice her face in that stone cold expression.

She'd always give me a quick smile when she notices me looking her way. I guess it's her way of saying she's fine, nothing to worry about. But I do, because how she's acting doesn't reassure me. It just reminds me how far apart we are as friends.