14. tunnels, tunnels, and tunnels

TUNNELS, TUNNELS, AND TUNNELS

・゚: * Nora never imagined herself sitting in the back of Billy Hargrove's car. Let alone sitting in the back of Billy Hargrove's car in between Mike and Dustin with her brother lying across the three, unconscious while Max drove and Lucas shouted directions at her.

Yet, here she is.

Mike is holding a bottle of gasoline with Steve's feet in his lap, Nora has two arms on top of his stomach, keeping him from falling to the ground at every bump, and Dustin holds his head with an ice pack to a bruise on his eye.

"Nancy?" Steve slurs, slowly waking up. He lifts his head a little, looking in Mike's direction before groaning and going to rub his eyes.

"No, don't touch it," Dustin gently pulls his hands from his face and smiles as Steve looks at him. "Hey, buddy. . . shush. It's okay. You put up a good fight. He kicked your ass, but you put up a good fight, buddy, okay? You're okay?"

Nora almost laughs as she watched Dustin treat her older brother like a small child. She wishes she had a camera.

"Okay," Lucas speaks to Max. "You're gonna keep straight for half a mile. . . then make a left on Mount Sinai."

"What- what's going on?" Steve looks over to the front of the car as Max makes eye contact with him. Nora watches the realization come to his face and he starts to panic, "Oh, Oh, my God!" He tries sitting up, but Dustin shushes him again.

"Steve, relax," he rubs his shoulder and Nora tightens her grip a little. "She's driven before."

"Yeah, in a parking lot," Mike says quietly, as if that would help.

"That counts," Lucas argues from the passengers seat.

"Oh, my God!" Steve just widens his eyes again.

"They were gonna leave you behind. Nora and I promised you'd be cool, okay?" Dustin tries calming him. Max speeds down the road which makes Steve more nervous. "Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. What's going on?"

"Max, maybe you wanna slow down?" Nora yells over the sound of the engine growling, Max just speeds up.

"Oh, my God! No! Woah, stop the car! Slow down!"

"I told you he'd freak out!" Mike yells at Dustin.

"Guys, not right now," Nora shouts, grabbing the halfway sitting up Steve harder.

"Stop the car!"

Max hits the steering wheel, "EVERYBODY SHUT UP! I'M TRYING TO FOCUS!"

Lucas quickly points at a small sign, "That's Mount Sinai! Make a left! Turn left!"

Max barely notices the small mailbox as she turns sharply, narrowly missing a line of trees. The whole car rocks and everyone grabs onto each other while they were screaming. Max continues driving across the grass at full speed until she stops abruptly in from of a large hole.