15. may i have this dance

MAY I HAVE THIS DANCE

・゚: * A month passed since everything Nora was trying desperately to forget about happened.

She does a little spin the floor-length mirror in her room, admiring her pink dress from all angles.

D'you think Max will like it?

"Nora, are you ready? We should head out to pick up Dustin!" Steve calls from downstairs. She shakes her head to push her thoughts away and smiles as she walks out of her room.

Steve is standing at the front door as Nora comes down, and he pretends to take pictures. She puts a hand over her face as if to cover it up, "no flash, please." The two laugh and he opens the door for her with a little bow.

"You look great, loser," Steve grins, ruffling her hair a little. Nora immediately brushes her hands through it to fix it.

"Yeah, I know," she takes the compliment and walks out to the car.

Nora takes the passenger seat and Steve drives off to Dustin's in kind of a rush. She turns the volume up to Bon Jovi and Steve doesn't protest which makes his sister grin to herself.

They pull up and wait a minute until Dustin comes out.

Nora almost gasps.

"You didn't," she breathes as Dustin gets into the car.

"I did," Dustin grins.

"He looks great, right?" Steve also grins.

"Right," Nora nods absentmindedly.

Steve and Dustin share their grins and Steve drives off.

The ride is mostly silent, Dustin adjusting his hair in the rearview mirror from the back, Steve lost in humming to now David Bowie, and Nora thinking about Max. She'd accepted she had a crush on her, she just wasn't sure what to do.

On one hand, she could absolutely ruin their friendship and probably never be able to talk to anyone in the party ever again. But on the other hand. . . what if she likes me back? Then, of course, there's a third hand, per usual, Nora says nothing and everything stays exactly how it is, and eventually her crush goes away. Or the crush festers and becomes unbearable until she demolishes their friendship single-handedly. So, four hands. All terrible. Awesome.

"All right," Steve pulls up in front of the gym entrance. "Here we are, guys." Nora's butterflies multiply and she stiffens. "So, remember, once you get in there. . ."

"Pretend like you don't care," Dustin finishes. Nora hates how he didn't say it ironically.

"You don't care."

"I don't care."

"There you go. You're learning, my friend. You're learning." Steve nods as Nora shakes her head. Dustin reaches for the rearview mirror to see his hair properly, and Steve pulls it back. "Hey! C'mon. You look great. Nora, tell him he looks great."