*31. california crew

before u read this and get confused I explained what I'm doing in the authors note of bonus chapter 5 so if u haven't read that that should clear it up but if u have anymore questions lmk anyway enjoy the chapter :))

CALIFORNIA CREW

✧・゚: * "What do people even wear in California?" Nora asks, throwing clothes onto the bed behind her as she rummages through the chaotic closet.

"I don't think you'll find out in my closet," Steve says under the pile of his own clothes from the previously mentioned bed Nora is attacking with clothes.

"D'you think Max would like it if I wore this?" Nora spins around, holding a hanger with a blue t-shirt on it against her body.

"If Max told you she would like it if you jumped off a cliff-"

"I would probably do it, yeah," Nora spins back around realizing she won't get any help from her brother who doesn't even want her going on this trip in the first place.

Nora's been counting down the seconds until Spring Break to when she could finally see Will and El again after 10 million years of having to deal with her stupid new cheer squad so that stupid Lucas would stop crying about being a stupid nerd and having no time to do her stupid schoolwork because she was caught between that and the stupid new Dungeons & Dragons club that stupid Mike and Dustin made her join.

Joyce's new job has to do with always being on the phone, so Nora barely gets anytime to talk to Will, and El isn't really sure how to work the machinery anyway, so absolutely nothing could make Nora less excited to leave.

Besides the fact that Mike is going too.

He just has to see his girlfriend for some reason, so now Nora has to endure a 4 hour and 30 minute flight next to him and stupid tourist outfit that she knows he's going to end up wearing.

One good thing to come out of all of this, however, is the fact that Max is going to California too.

With everything that happened with Billy, her mom decided maybe a little vacation would be good for Max, like the sunny, warm California air with her dad would clear her mind - Nora's kind of hoping so too.

The girls aren't on bad terms, per say, they've just gotten more and more distant with their different friend groups and Max's brother dying, y'know?

But, anyway, Nora knows California will help the two of them rekindle their flame, and it's an incredibly lucky coincidence that Max's dad lives in the neighborhood right next to the Byers' new one - a fact that Nora definitely did not have memorized since she found out where they were moving to.

Steve says he doesn't want her to go because of basic, overprotective brother reasons, but Nora thinks there's some complex reasoning behind the idea of his ex-girlfriend's new boyfriend spending time with his little sister who's going with his ex-girlfriend's little brother to hang out with their friend who happens to be his ex-girlfriend's new boyfriend's little brother - or something like that.

Steve also has some hesitance towards letting Nora get too close with Max again after everything that's happened.

He has nothing against Max! He thought the redhead was perfect for Nora, they totally balanced each other out and he'd never seen Nora happier than when she was with her.

But as soon as Max started getting distant, Steve could see how hard it was on Nora. Obviously, Max had her reasons, but he'd hate to see his little sister go through that kind of pain again.

Still, he and Nora both know who the real boss in their household is, so after weeks of collecting car wash and bake sale shares, Nora finally had enough to buy herself a plane ticket to the Sunshine State. Or was it the Golden State? Anyway, doesn't matter now.

"You're only gonna be there for a week!" Steve stares as Nora throws a fifth pair of jeans into her suitcase.

"One has rips in it, one is more baggy, one is for when I wear my black shirt, another for the red, and I can't decide if I should pack the green but I'll probably end up doing it anyway-"

"You do not-" Steve snatched up an article of clothing from the haphazard pile over her suitcase, "-need to bring this," he holds up the puffy winter coat.

"I get cold really easily!" She snatched the jacket back and puts it in the suitcase. And it's in case Max gets cold too.

a/n:
welcome 🤗
so I submitted this book for the Wattpad awards thing but part of the criteria was for the book to be finished and technically it is finished?? idk if this is cheating or not just letting u all know in case some confusion is presented anyway lmk what u thought of the chapter 🤞🤞