39. can't catch a break

CAN'T CATCH A BREAK

CAN'T CATCH A BREAK

・゚: * "Flashlights," Dustin states as the group all enter a room in the attic. They'd discovered they can track where the Vecna is moving in the upside down through the lights the turn on as he passes them, and as they all circle around the main light in the attic, all their flashlights glow excessively.

"Okay," Steve looks the most freaked out at the moment. "What's happening?"

Nora sees Nancy and Robin just looked confused on the other end of the circle, Lucas vaguely concerned, but all Nora can focus on is the redhead beside her.

Is this safe for her? Vecna is literally right there, and she's possessed by him! It must so easy for him to just-

Max must be able to read Nora's mind because she immediately grabs the panic-filled girl's hand, warming it in contrast to the chill of the flashlight's metal in her other hand. Nora squeezes back in acknowledgement, but neither girls can lift their gaze from the light in front of them.

・゚: * "Not to be a wimp," Robin starts as she sits in the passenger seat of the car. Nancy's driving, Nora sits in the middle of Lucas and Max in the backseat, and Dustin and Steve are sitting in the trunk with the food and drinks they've acquired for Eddie. "But can I stay in the car for this, 'cause this is gonna totally and royally suck."

"It'll be fine," Nancy shakes her head.

"I just can't stand to see the dull eyes of Eddie's break again. I really, really can't."

"At least he can drink himself into feeling better," Steve lifts the beer bottles to prove a point, him Dustin having already dug into the chip supply they'd gathered.

"That's what my mom does," Max snarks, and Nora shoots her a look.

She isn't really sure where they stand considering she didn't miss the way Max said she loved her when they were in the cemetery, then refused to make eye contact with her after the Annie Cunningham thing, then held her hand a total of three times since they'd discovered where the Vecna holed itself up, and now is back to avoiding all signs of humanity.

"Why don't we just give it a trial run?" Robin excuses Nora from inner crisis. "'Hey, Eddie! Uh, good news first this time: we got you some Dustin-approved junk food and that six-pack you requested. Oh, yeah, and we found Vecna. Bad news is that he's in that other, darker, much scarier dimension that-we-told-you-about-and-the-gate's-closed-so-we-have-no-way-of-getting-to-him-he's-entirely-shut-off-to-us-so-basically-you're-screwed-and-no-I-know-that-you-were-already-screwed-but-now-you're-like-doubly-triply-screwed!'" the older girl blurs her words together at the end in panic.

"Maybe don't put it like that," Lucas puts a reassuring hand out in a condescending manner.

"Yeah, no shit," Nora mumbles, hoping Robin doesn't hear and thinks it's directed towards her; Nora's just still pissed at Lucas.