*bonus chapter 9

BIRTHDAY?

Birthday's have never been a big thing within the friend group.

They usually consisted of party hats during campaigns and cake instead of pizza as food. Sometimes, when Mike was feeling generous, he would add in a "character's" birthday as a plot point in their campaigns.

Furthermore, Nora never really knew how to celebrate her birthday. Her parents either weren't there or just plain forgot, and Steve, as amazing as he is, was never one to host a ten year old girl's birthday party, so, while he got her cool gifts, Nora could never say she enjoyed her birthday very much.

So much so, that she forgot to tell Max about the day last year.

The redhead didn't find out about week later when Will mentioned it in passing, and she gave Nora the silent treatment for 14 hours for not telling her - yes, Nora did count.

Obviously, she had to buy Nora fifty different comics, a new bike basket, and give her an hour long skating lesson to make up for it.

And this year, knowing the actual date of her birthday, Max is going to make it her best one yet.

Sure, it's the same day Nora's going to be discharged from the hospital after having two bullet wounds and a concussion, and sure she's probably going to be bedridden for the rest of her life, but what kind of girlfriend would Max be is she didn't throw her the most ultimate welcome home/surprise birthday party ever?

Which is how the two ended up in this situation now: Nora laying with her back on the floor next to her bed that's actually just a mattress as Max is on the mattress on her stomach and elbows, throwing pretzels in Nora's mouth.

Everyone else - Dustin, El, Steve, Mike, Will, and Lucas because the one thing Max did do right was not invite too many people - out in the living room of Nora and Steve's trailer, playing Pictionary.

"Thank you for the party," Nora picks up the tiara that Max had gotten her that she took off, so she could fall on the floor without impaling her head, and messes with it in her hands.

"Sorry for not knowing you were on drugs when you walked in," Max replies, taking a pretzel for herself now.

Nothing bad happened, Nora was just looking forward to a day - or ten - of relaxing in her room, and obviously she loves every second she gets hanging out with her friends, especially when they're all gathered to celebrate her, but it was hard to have a good time when every 15 minutes she went to throw up in her bathroom.

"It's okay, I still had a good time," she assures, looking at Max who seemed slightly upset. "Seriously, it was really nice of you."

"I just feel like I'm not doing anything right," Max expresses as she rolls over so she's on her back on the mattress, more space between the two girls.

"What are you talking about?" Nora scooches over so she can be on the bed next to Max, both girls now looking up at the ceiling stars that were on the roof before Nora and Steve rented out the trailer.

"I'm talking about how I'm a total bitch to you all school year, and then when we start getting closer I still don't know how to act around you, and I try doing something nice for you, and it totally goes to shit."

"Nothing's gone to shit, Max," Nora's slightly amused by Max's dramatics. "I'm telling you, I had a good time. I love chocolate cake, and I love getting gifts, and I love spending time with my friends and my girlfriend-" she grabs Max's hand at this and looks at her side profile pointedly. "You're doing everything right."

Max turns to look at Nora.

"I love you," she says, Nora hearing everything else Max is trying to say in those three words.

"I love you too," Nora smiles the same way she does every time they say 'I love you' to each other, and even wider when Max leans in to kiss her.

"Do you guys- WOAH! Okay, sorry, sorry, sorry," Steve's voice comes through the door as Nora lets go of Max's hand and turns away on her side as she covers her face completely, Max most likely doing a similar action.

Steve's walked back into the hallway now, and his voice comes out muffled, so Nora knows he's also completely covering his face. "I was just gonna ask if I should keep the cake or give it to Mike to take home."

Max is the first to get up exasperatedly. "I'll be right back," she tells Nora before going to the kitchen to split the slices up evenly.

Steve comes in from the hallway as he watches Max leave the room, and Nora sits upright on the mattress, still covering her face with her hands. Even if they didn't quite do anything, it was still super weird.

"So, um," Steve starts, and Nora has no idea where he's going with this. "I guess. . . with two girls. . . it's different. . . maybe- I don't mean like different, I just mean, like, when it's a girl and a guy, or even two guys, kinda. . . um, just, y'know-"

"Oh my God, are you giving me the sex talk right now?"

"No! No, I mean- I just mean. . . use protection. . .?" Steve is as uncomfortable as Nora is.

"Oh my God," she drops her forehead down to rest on her knees that she's pulled to her chest.

"And, y'know. . . consent- and everything. . . is key-"

"I know that," Nora looks up and gets defensive at this.

"Right! Of course you do," Steve nods. "And you also know. . . that. . . if you don't give consent. . . and someone still. . . does something. . . that's not. . . your fault. . ."

"Okay."

"And. . . you would tell me-"

"Max would never do something like that," Nora interrupts before Steve can go any further. "There's nothing to worry about."

"Well, y'know, there are. . . other. . . people in the world. . ."

"I wouldn't cheat on Max."

"It wouldn't be cheating though! Would it? Like, if you. . . y'know, didn't. . . give consent? Right?"

"I don't know what you're trying to imply," Nora lies. There's no way he knows, right?

"Nothing," Steve shakes his head. "I'm not trying to imply anything. . . just, stay safe."

"Okay," Nora nods as Steve stands up and Max walks back in. The two nod awkwardly to each other but Nora's staring blankly straight ahead.

"What was that about?" Max takes Steve's spot next to Nora.

"Nothing," Nora shakes her head out of it. "That was nothing."

a/n:
the best part is max isn't a party planner for anyone else in the world but is so soft for Nora 🙂 also I lied again Annie was vaguely mentioned in this chapter so basically never listen to anything I ever say ever ANYWAY BONUS CHAPTER IDEAS PLS I HAVE THE IMAGINATION OF A GOLDFISH AND I MIss telling u guys ab my personal life even tho no one asked for example old school crush out new one in he is a guy so I don't have high hopes but he's so fine it's not even funny omg