28. mall rats

MALL RATS

MALL RATS

・゚: * Max laughs at Nora's flustered face and grabs her hand. "C'mon, we should get this to El," Max picks up a towel to go with Nora's bowl and they go back to the aisle El and Mike are in.

Nora's still starstruck.

They walk over to see the rest of the group already helping El up. Mike quickly explains they need to find Dustin, and Max and Nora drop each others hands to help carry El to the frozen foods section.

They open up all the freezer doors, so El can use the humming noise as static and they wait as she sits with an American flag blindfold.

After a few moments of silence, Lucas suddenly opens a can of Coke, startling everyone.

"Quiet," Max's hisses from beside Nora, their hands having found each other again.

"Oh, sorry," Lucas whispers back before he slurps, loudly, from the can.

"How can you even drink that?" Mike looks disgusted.

Nora looks at the pale boy in shock. "Because it's delicious."

"It is," Lucas nods with her.

Mike, Max, and Will look the two with furrowed brows, "What?"

"It's like Carpenter's The Thing," Lucas explains. "The original is a classic, no question about it. But the remake. . ." Lucas takes a sip and sighs. "Sweeter. Bolder. Better."

"You could be in a commercial for New Coke," Nora nudges Lucas and he grins at her.

"You're both insane," Mike shakes his head.

"So, you prefer the original The Thing?" Lucas frowns at Mike.

"What? No, I'm not talking about The Thing. I'm talking about New Coke."

"It's the same concept, dude," Nora raises her eyebrows.

"Uh, actually, it's not the same concept," Mike argues.

"It is the same concept," Lucas takes Nora's side, causing Nora to give Mike a smug smirk.

"No, it's not."

"Yes, it is," Nora replies.

"No, it's not."