chapter forty four

~Marley~

~Marley~

As Harry went to place the final things into the car, Marley couldn't help herself as she wandered aimlessly around her room, looking at all she would miss as her thoughts ran wild.

She looked out of her opened window, thinking about the endless nights she had spent with her feet dangling from the windowsill. The way she had always wondered what was out there for her, talking to her father about all the things he had been missing. She thought about how she was going to miss the sound of the train roaring loudly on the tracks behind her house, how she had always found comfort in the way the metal from the tracks clashed with the steel on the side of the tires as it sped off into the night.

She turned her body to the side, a blush creeping onto her face as she thought about the times with Harry. The way her body effortlessly craved his touch, how good he would make her feel as their bodies tangled between her sheets. How she would wake up the next morning with a smile on her face when his scent lingered onto her pillow.

She looked over to the bare shelf in front of her, a small giggle escaping her lips at the thought of her spending so many nights staying up for as long as she could as she remembered each card and when they were given to her. She could remember every detail of the interaction, the way her father's smile lit up the room as he handed her the card. How he watched her intently as she opened it, the anticipation filling the air as he waited for her reaction on whatever he had written down. No matter what was written, she would always end up in a fit of laughter reading the stupid joke he had told. The jokes always fell after the sweetest and most sentimental words, making them just that much better.

She was certain that this would be her last moments in the room, the same room that was seen to be her only way of escape. The four walls that were painted such a faint yellow, that she couldn't help the way the weight of the world seemingly lifted off her shoulders the moment she had entered the room.

Finally she looked down at the corner of the world that meant the most to her. The one that she had spent hours upon hours listening and connecting to every lyric that poured through the speaker of her record player. She sat down for the final time, allowing her small hands to dance over the vinyls as she closed her eyes, allowing the smell of the plastic lining to fill her senses for the last time.

She stopped her motions when her fingers landed on the one she loved the most, the one that she always went back to when things seemed to be at their worst. She carefully picked the album up, her fingers running over the cover as the words The Beatles in black contrasted to the white plastered around it. Her eyes trail down to the small note scribbled onto the corner of it.

'Take these broken wings and learn to fly. Happy birthday my darling Marley. I love you always my sweet, sweet girl. Love, dad.'

Small tears formed in the bottom of her eyes, the words that were faintly on the cover fading more as the water that reached the surface blurred her vision. She sighed heavily as she hugged the vinyl to her chest, closing her eyes as she wished for nothing more than for her father to be there with her.