chapter nine ~ part one

~Marley~

~Marley~

It's hard to pinpoint the exact moment a person loses themself. It seems as though life just continues to kick and kick them while they're down until it feels as though they will never be able to stand again. There is only so much pain a one can handle before they don't even recognize the person staring back at them in the mirror.

A person can only take so much before they finally break, completely falling apart, afraid they will never make it out alive.

But sometimes, people come along when it is least expected and save them from it all... maybe without even realizing it.

As the light shines through the opened window and into the room that Marley finds herself in that morning, she is hit with the instant feeling of relief knowing she was ok, that she was safe. It was a feeling she felt less and less as time went on, but having the plush, white comforter and sunshine dance along her skin made her feel complete and utter content.

Knowing that she will need to be home soon, she quickly stretches her arms out as she lightly groans, rubbing her eyes from the lack of sleep she had gotten the night before.

She swings her legs over to the side of the bed as she stands rather slowly, allowing her body one final stretch as her bones crack quickly in her back, an instant gratification flooding through her veins. Her eyes are still closed as she stands for a few moments, her feet sinking into the soft carpet that was under her as the sun soaks onto her skin for just a few more seconds. She wants this feeling to last, not knowing when she will feel such peace the way she had at this very moment.

To her surprise, she hears a light snore coming from a body below her. She is almost afraid to look down until she remembers the night's events from just a few hours before, a chuckle escaping her lips as she looks down at the sleeping, curly headed boy below her.

His body is curled into a ball as a few pieces of his hair falls in front of his face, flying into the air every so often from the deep snores escaping his slightly opened mouth as a small amount of drool emerges onto the corner of it. She couldn't but stare at the boy as she noticed for the first time, the subtle changes in his features compared to the night he left.

His jawline had straightened out, making it much more chiseled than she last remembered. His slightly chubby cheeks were replaced with a sharp bone structure. His shoulders were much broader now and his arms had even more muscle than before, which was a bit of a shock because he wasn't weak by any means before he left. He still had the same rings wrapped tightly around his fingers like they had been for years, causing her wonder if he ever takes them off. Overall, he simply looked older, any trace of the small amount of innocence and childlike structure he once had was gone and now replaced with a more manlier touch.

A sigh escapes her lips as she looks away from him, remembering she needs to be heading home, her heartbeat immediately quickening at the thought. She turns her body back to the bed to make it quietly, making it rather quickly, almost as if the way Jay would make was muscle memory to her now.