chapter fifty five

~Harry~

~Harry~

The woman had looked the same since the last time he had seen her. Her hair was brown, wavy, yet straggly. Her face looked as though it had been through hell and back, her eyes tired as the bags under them showed the blue inside of her brown. Her lips were puffy, a side effect of the flesh being pulled into her top teeth as she quickly wiped the tears away from her eyes.

He hadn't really realized the similarities between her and Marley until now. More importantly, how much pain they both had hidden within their eyes.

But then he remembered how different they truly were. Because while Marley's mother's eyes were glimed red with withdrawal, suken from addiction... Marley's eyes held a pain caused by the women standing before him.

Because she knew.

She knew the kind of evil that had been lurking in the shadows of their home and she did nothing to stop it. Only trapping the prey in a cage with the predator, the hunted locked away with the hunter.

"She is my daughter, Luke." Jennifer said quietly, standing from her crouched position as Luke grabbed Cole's arm, pulling him closer. "She needs her mother, Marley needs me."

A laugh escaped Luke's lips. Not one full of rejoice and happiness, but one full of disbelief as he shook his head. He ran his fingers through his hair, tears brimming his eyes as his laughter grew louder.

"You've got to be fucking kidding me," he laughed, looking around the room to see Vicky standing behind him with her lips parted slightly.

She placed her hand on his shoulder, grabbing Cole's hand as she muttered his name, "C'mon, Luke. It's been a rough night and we're all tired-"

She didn't get to finish her words before Luke shook her hand off of his shoulder as he looked at his mother, "You must be kidding me, this has to be some sick fucking joke."

"Luke," Jennifer said as she stepped closer to him, causing him to step backwards as he held his hands in the air. "Marley needs-"

"If you tell me she needs you one more fucking time, I'm gonna snap," he spat, his eyes dark as he narrowed his gaze at the women. "Because I can think of about a hundred more times where she needed you and you were nowhere to be found."

"Honey," she whispered, taking a step towards him as everyone watched with wide eyes. "I'm clean, have been for three weeks, I promise."

He flickered his gaze to Louis who just stood there just as shocked as everyone else, not exactly knowing what to say before Luke finally found the words, "So what? You just expect that to fix everything. That you deserve to be here for her because you're clean? Do you have any idea what we've been through because of you?"

"Please" she went to say, but never got the chance to as Luke shook his head.

"You don't get to do that," he snapped. "You don't get to just come back once you decide you're not finished fucking up our lives."