⤷ 11| IN THE HOG'S HEAD

chapter eleven : in the Hog's Head

☆ ☆ ☆

Juniper didn't hear anything about Harry and her teaching the others Defence Against the Dark Arts for two whole weeks. She was getting impatient and was about to go and look for Harry, when Hermione approached her.

"June, a word please?"

Juniper nodded and followed her towards a deserted corridor. "Is Harry going to do it?"

"Yeah," Hermione said. "It took some convincing but he'll come."

"Great," June said. "Who else is coming?"

"Well — er — I had the idea of telling anyone who might be interested to meet us in the Hog's Head in the Hogsmeade weekend," Hermione told her and June nodded.

"That's smart, we don't want Umbridge knowing what's happening," June said. "I'll ask around and see who else is interested."

"Great," Hermione said, nodding. "Then I'll see you in the Hog's Head."

"See you there."

☆ ☆ ☆

The Hog's Head was not at all like the Three Broomsticks, June realized as she set foot in it.

It comprised one small, dingy and very dirty room that smelled strongly of something that might have been goats. The bay windows were so encrusted with grime that very little daylight could permeate the room, which was lit instead with the stubs of candles sitting on rough wooden tables. The floor seemed at first glance to be compressed earth, though as June stepped on to it she realised that there was stone beneath what seemed to be the accumulated filth of centuries.

Juniper quickly ordered a Butterbeer before moving towards the furthest table from the bar where Harry, Hermione and Ron were already sitting.

"Hi," June greeted them. "Hermione, do you know how many people will come?"

"Er — I guess a couple of people, but they should be here any minute — oh, look, this might them now."

The door of the pub had opened. A thick band of dusty sunlight split the room in two for a moment and then vanished, blocked by the incoming rush of a crowd of people.

First came Neville with Dean and Lavender, who were closely followed by Parvati and Padma Patil with Cho Chang and one of her usually-giggled girlfriends, then Luna Lovegood; then Katie Bell, Angelina, Alicia, Colin and Dennis Creevey, Ernie Macmillan, Justin Finch-Fletchley, Hannah Abott, a Hufflepuff girl with a long plait down her back whose name June did not know; Liam, Cedric, three Ravenclaw boys she was pretty sure were called Anthony Goldstein, Michael Corner and Terry Boott then Mabel Longbottom — Neville's younger sister and Ginny's best friend — and Ginny, followed by a tall skinny blond boy with an upturned nose whom June recognized vaguely as being a member of the Hufflepuff Quidditch team and, bringing up the rear, Fred, George and Lee, all three of whom were carrying large paper bags crammed with Zonko's merchandise.