Chapter 45: Moonlight Meetings

Thranduil squeezed Caerwyn tighter, "We both have to survive this , because I couldn't survive losing you again Starlight."

Caerwyn snuggled again Thranduil for a bit longer before standing and taking his hand and leading him to their room. "I'm still a bit miffed at you, but I'll let you sleep in the bed with me tonight."

Thranduil chuckled, " I am king yet I always seem to be a servant to your commands and whims."

Caerwyn grinned and pecked him on the cheek ,"A King is nothing without their Queen, darling."

Thranduil shook his head mystified at his wife as he followed her to their room, when the latch on their door clicked shut, Idwal stepped from the shadows.

"So this is it." He thought to himself, one final battle and then he would lose his best friend forever. Would a half-breed mutt like him be allowed to follow her to Valinor? 

Idwal walked across the main room towards the bar against one wall and poured himself a glass of Rohirrim whiskey, tossing it back he relished the burn that seared his throat.  He poured another glass swirling the amber colored liquid , much like his dark thoughts swirled around in his head. 

The soft creak of the floorboard sounded behind him and he released the dagger hidden in his sleeve, the steel glinting in the moonlight that filtered through the windows. 

He turned to stare at Adhelram who held the blade in place, a mere inch from his face.  He lowered the dagger twirling it between his fingers, grinning, "You know, you could have killed me Spymaster." **

Idwal raised an eyebrow as he took a lazy sip of the whiskey , "If I wanted you dead, you wouldn't be standing there, Princeling."

The grin slid from Adhelram's face, as he crossed the distance between them, "How did you know I was a prince?"

Idwal stepped closer, his breath warm on Adhelram's face, "I had my suspicions, but you just confirmed them."

Adhelram took a step back, heat coloring his face, "And what do you plan on doing with this information, Spymaster?" 

Idwal shrugged and turned to pour himself a third glass of whiskey, "I haven't decided yet, but for now, just know I'm not the type to go running to the Queen-General with every tidbit of information. She trusts me to pass along what is vital and leaves me to deal with all the other...details." 

Idwal poured another glass of whiskey and offered it to Adhelram, who took it gingerly, taking a sip, he pulled a face as it burned down his throat.  Gagging he looked at Idwal in disgust, "Ugh, what is this? Orc Piss?"

Idwal let out a barking laugh , "I can understand the confusion, its whiskey made by our friends in Rohan."

Adhelram took a pitcher of water from the sideboard drinking straight from it to get the taste from his mouth.  He glared at Idwal "How are you able to stand there and calmly drink that pig swill?"

Idwal shrugged, "I was raised on cheap ale and stale wine, this stuff is practically liquid gold. "

Adhelram took a step back towards Idwal, black smoke swirled in his hand as an illusion danced on his fingers, translucent figures made of the black smoke twirled around with in the illusion at a grand ball, Adhelram's deep voice spoke in soft tones, "When my father was king, we had the most extravagant parties, sweet wine pouring from fountains, gorgeous women in dresses made of silk that left little to the imagination. " The illusion faded from Adhelram's fingers, "I have tasted liquid gold, it nothing like what I just drank."

Idwal raised an eyebrow at him, "So that is your ability, summoning illusions?"

Adhelram shook his head, "That is a meer taste of my power, and it is in a much weakened state now. Just as Queen Caerwyn is of light and the purity of the stars, I am her direct opposite,yet equal, I draw my power from darkness, the vast emptiness of space."