Chapter 5: The search begins

Present

Idwal stared after the Elvenking, yelling at his back "What do you mean she is gone?"

The Elvenking didn't even bother looking over his shoulder, "Exactly what I said , Spymaster, she is gone, no longer here, vanished. Do you need simpler terms than that mortal?"

Idwal rushed around the Elvenking blocking his path , "But where has the Princess-General gone?" 

The Elvenking raised a sword to Idwal's throat, " Do not go chasing after magic that after a millennium I have yet to understand. It is best that you forget her as I have tried to do."

"I cannot forget the Princess-General, I owe her a life debt,  I must find her to repay that debt."

The Elvenking lowered his sword, "And what has Princess-General Telcontar done, so great that merits the life of a Peredhel* assassin?"

"Before the General made me her spymaster I was a courtesan, and I was not discerning as to which gender I served. A crime that a mob of drunken soldiers thought punishable by hanging. She saved me from the gallows and personally delivered fifty lashes to each of the soldiers. " 

The Elvenking raised an eyebrow, a twinkle of pride quickly flashed through his eyes, "Yes, that does sound like the Princess-General, though something tells me there is more to that story."

Idwal shrugged, "The soldiers might have been in the pockets of a certain Lord, whose son was found to be a regular patron of mine."

"Did you love him?"

Idwal was taken back by the question, mute for once in his life.

"The Lord's son, did you love him?" 

"I thought I did." Idwal said quietly

The Elvenking sighed in a long suffering manner, and turned back toward the gates to Mirkwood,  "Your search for the Princess-General will just end in sadness and vain."

"How can you know this?"

"Don't ask me how, but if you insist on searching, just know you should not be searching for a place but for a time. If there is anything left of the great records of Lothlorien , you should start your search there, but be warned you will not like what you find." 

The Elvenking stepped back through the gates of his hermit kingdom, they swung shut behind him with a soft thud. 

Staring at the gates Idwal grumbled to himself, "I'll be the judge of that." 

*Peredhel : Half-elf