Chapter 27: Little Leaf (Part 2)

8 months later
Thranduil POV

Over the past five years my kingdom has been on a steady incline under my rule. This year was the first where I actually saw a profit.

It made my heart happy, we were now out of financial trouble. I have in part my wonderful wife to think of. I had no idea how much a fierce negotiator she could be until she had won a trade agreement with the dwarves that turned out to be quite profitable for both kingdoms.

Despite the fact I still throughly dislike the little mountain dwellers.

I shuffled back through the mountain of paperwork on my desk, it looked like it would be another late night, Caerwyn would not be pleased.

All of a sudden the door to my office burst open slamming against the wall. Surely there would now be a dent in my wall from the handle.
Young Tauriel stood there panting. "Sorry for the intrusion My King, I ran here as fast as I could."

I raised an eyebrow, "And what pray tell, warrants such urgency?"

"It's the Queen." She gasped

I was on my feet in an instant, my heart thundering in my chest. "What has happened?!"

Tauriel looked at me in fright, "We were going for a walk in the forest and she cried out in pain. And and..I think she has gone into labor."

I was out my office doors in an instant running towards the forest. Tauriel running behind me, "Commander Meldiron and I were able to get her the stone cottage before he sent me to get you. "

"Very good, go get Nestarion."
I didn't even turn my head to look at
Tauriel, I know she followed my commands to collect her father.

I sped through the forest towards the stone cottage, a cry rang through the forest, Caerwyn was screaming in pain.

I skidded to a stop in front of the cottage, nearly falling over, I burst through the door nearly taking it off the hinges in my haste.

Caerwyn lay on the bed, sweat soaked her brow. Her glorious face scrunched in pain.

Meldiron on the other hand was pale as Caerwyn's hair, he looked like he was about to be sick. He stood quickly and excused himself.

I rushed to Caerwyn's side and took her hand within mine. "I am here beloved."

She pivoted her head toward me , her eyes wide with fear. "The baby, it's too soon."

The fear in her eyes mirrored the fear that gripped my heart. I closed my eyes and focused my magic within Caerwyn as I had done so many times in recent months. Always in awe when I sensed the little life within her.

My magic touched the little life within her now. Their heartbeat strong and steady. Any worry erased from my mind, of course my child would be like their mother ready to charge forward and face the world.

My eyes snapped open as I sensed Nestarion's presence enter the cottage. He smiled in his ever kind manner. " I take it by the look of relief in your eyes, My King, you find the young heir in good health. "

I turned to Caerwyn , stroking her sweat covered hair."Our child is fine, They are just over eager to meet us."

Caerwyn nodded and spoke through gritted teeth, "Well tell them, if they are so eager to hurry up."

I rested a hand on Caerwyn's stomach, "Come quickly little one, you are causing your Nana quite a bit of pain and your Ada doesn't like that."

Caerwyn groaned again and squeezed my hand in an almost bone crushing grip "I DON'T THINK THAT IS HELPING THRANDUIL!"

Nestarion coughed politely, "Yes well, if I have your permission , My Queen, I would like to check to see how things are progressing."

Caerwyn nodded and Nestarion lifted her skirts he smiled, "I can see the head already. My Queen you are progressing quite quickly, one good push and the heir shall be in this world. "

I looked to Caerwyn and she nodded , with one great push a cry sounded. My child was here. And they were loud like their mother.

Nestarion lifted the gore covered infant, "Congratulations, It's a Prince."

"Do you hear that, Starlight, we have a son." I smiled down at Caerwyn, my beautiful , clever wife.

Nestarion quickly cleaned and wrapped my son before handing him over to Caerwyn to nurse. He was wonderful. I snuggled in the bed next to Caerwyn wrapping an arm around her. My world was right here in this cottage.

"Legolas." Caerwyn spoke, "I want to name him Legolas."

I reached down and my son wrapped his tiny, perfect hand around my finger, "Hello, Legolas, I'm your Ada"

Six months later

Thranduil looked from his spot at the table in front of the cottage. Caerwyn liked taking Legolas out to the cottage so much that he had a table brought out so he could still get work done but enjoy the company of his family.

When he came home from fighting Sauron nearly six years ago, he came home a shell of his former self but suddenly he was expected to rule a destitute kingdom. He saw nothing but darkness.

But then Caerwyn arrived and with her, she brought so much light. His kingdom flourished and he found the love of his life.

He watched Caerwyn as she played with Legolas on the lawn, enjoying the unusually warm late autumn sun. Legolas crawled across the grass, once again taking a leaf in his tiny hands and trying to shove it in his mouth.

Caerwyn's bell-like laughter rang through the air as she took the leaf from him.

This , Thranduil thought , This is what true happiness looks like. He couldn't wait to spend his eternity like this and hopefully have many more children.

Thranduil's head snapped toward the forest as Meldiron burst into the clearing. A message held tightly in his hand. A grim look on his face.
A pit grew in Thranduil's stomach. Last time he had seen that look, his father had died.

Meldiron handed the message to Thranduil, "The dragons have banded together and have started attacking settlements, the north calls for aid."

Caerwyn stood and lifted Legolas into her arms, holding him on her hip she walked over to the Elvenking and his commander, fire sparking in her eyes.

"Then tell the Northern settlements, Mirkwood will answer."