Chapter 16: The Kiss

"What would you wish of me, Your Majesty?"

"A Kiss."

I slowly blinked, realizing what the Elvenking had just asked for, a blush crept up the back of my neck and to the tips of my pointed ears.

He held out his hand towards me to help me up, a tingle ran through my arm at the contact.

He pulled me up quickly and I stumbled, thunking against his chest. I could feel his tantalizing warm breath on my forehead. I quickly took a step back as butterflies exploded in my stomach. I couldn't look him in the eye , the stitching on his tunic suddenly became the most fascinating thing in the world.

I start slightly as I feel his warm fingers on my chin as he gently steers my face upward. I stare into those sky blue eyes, I could become lost in their softness.

His voice speaks softly, " If my wish makes you uncomfortable, I can make a different request."

I shake my head. "It's not your request that makes me uncomfortable, it's the feelings behind them that I don't quite understand."

The Elvenking tilted his head in question.

I sighed, "Why do you want to kiss me?"

A small smile spread across the Elvenking's face as understanding alighted in his eyes. " You think I am toying with you, that I will play with you and then drop you like a spoiled child the instant I tire of you."

"Yes."

The Elvenking reached for my hand , holding it gently he laid a kiss upon my knuckles. A shiver went up my spine at the intimate action.

"What if I were tell you General Telcontar that you have enchanted me. That I haven't been able to sleep well since I met you, my mind has been kept awake with thoughts of you."

I stepped closer to him, I pressed my hand to his chest , I could feel the rapid beating of his heart. It mirrored mine. I stared up at him, his warm breath on my face.

He took a shaking breath , "What if I were to tell you of my joy, when it was decided you would stay in Mirkwood because I could not bare the thought of being parted from you?"

My mind that was once a jumble of confusion, became clear. One thing I understood to be true, Over the past few days I have come to care for the Elvenking, his wit and charm. The way I could see every emotion in his eyes despite what his face tried to convey. I admit I don't know the Elvenking well yet. But we have time to learn.

I stood on my toes and pressed a chaste kiss to the Elvenking's lips. They were so soft and warm. He stiffened like a startled deer but then I felt him melt against me.

Our kiss which was just supposed to be a soft peck, deepened and lingered. His hands slid down my sides to wrap around my waist. My arms wrapped around his neck, my fingers digging into his hair.

......
Thranduil

My mind shattered into a million pieces when General Telcontar pressed her lips to mine.

I had fantasized about this moment so many times but this was so much better than any daydream. To be able to hold this breathtaking woman in my arms, it felt so natural. Like we belonged together.

I don't know who broke the kiss first. My breath came out as pants , trying to get my heart back to a normal rhythm. I feared it might beat out of my chest. I pressed my forehead against hers, just not wanting to break contact with her.

She suddenly pulled back, her eyes shone with fear. She stuttered "I..uh..Thank you."

I reached my hand out to pull her back close to me but she darted out of my grasp, and sprinted into the wild forest.

A lump rose in my throat as I watched her leave. Should I leave her alone or give chase? I turned away from the forest back toward the great halls of my palace.

To my surprise Celediel is leaning against one of the fences that separate the training grounds. She stares at me with a hard disapproving glare and signs " Thranduil. You idiot go after her."

My eyebrow twitches in annoyance ," Celediel , you might be my mother's sister, but I am still your king and don't appreciate being called an idiot."

I try and brush past her but she grabs me by the arm, frantically signing. " I only call it as I see it. Go after her, you don't meet an elleth like that every millennium."

"Yes, I am well aware of that but she obviously does not harbour the same feelings I do. It's better to leave her alone."

Celediel sighed and pushed me Toward the forest signing "Go, Idiot."

I throw my hands up in defeat " Fine, Fine. But it's on your head if She turns me to a pile of ash. "