Chapter 29: The Horns of Mirkwood

"Very well, its decided, Sound the horns, Mirkwood goes to war."

I looked to my council, "I pray that you are all right about this."

Caerwyn gripped my hand, "It will be fine, it will further our bond with the northern peoples if we come to their aid and our soldiers will come home with stories of how they slayed dragons. Nothing bad will happen."

"You say that, My Queen, yet I cannot shake this feeling of dread in my stomach. "

She squeezed my hand tighter, "All will be fine, come I want to spend as much time with our son as we can before we must leave him for Valar knows how long."

My council had left only moments before, but I heard the roar of the war horns, echoing through my kingdom, I couldn't help but flinch, the last time I had heard those horns, we were marching against Sauron.

Caerwyn tugged on my hand, "Come Husband, best not keep our son waiting. "

I stood and walked hand in hand with my wife back to our chambers.

Caerwyn POV

Thranduil opened the door to our chambers and we were met by the sight of Mistress Briala trying to comfort my very distressed son. His cries pierced my heart.

I rushed forward and took him from Briala and he immediately quieted. She stared at me wide eyed, "The horns startled him from a nap."

I wiped Legolas's little tear stained face , looking into his deep blue eyes that looked so much like his fathers , I felt an ache behind my eyes that I haven't felt in years. I turned to Thranduil in horror, shoving Legolas in his arms , the world tilted as my vision faded to black.

In the past I would get little flashes, images , this time, this was different. I knew I was seeing the future.

A proud elven warrior with bright blond hair bounded across the battlefield , slaying Orcs as he went. He turned to look at me and I knew in an instant this was my son. What would he face, to turn him into such a fierce warrior?

My vision swam, and then I faced a new image, Thranduil covered in Orc gore , stood talking with Legolas, He was telling him to go to the North and find a ranger amongst the Dunedain named Strider.  Legolas turned from Thranduil, such sadness in both their faces, what had happened to my son and husband?  The last words I heard before the scene started to fade ,"Legolas ,Your mother loved you very much."

My vision swam again and I became aware of someone shaking my shoulders, I heard Thranduil's deep voice calling me back.  "Come back to me , Beloved. Caerwyn! Caerwyn!"

My eyes snapped open and I stared into Thranduil's deep blue eyes,  the pain slowly ebbed away from my head as I sat up , " I had a vision."

'Thranduil stiffened, "What did you see?"

"Our Son, when he is grown. You were sending him on a quest to find a Dunedain ranger named Strider. "

Thranduil smiled, "Did he look well?"

I took Thranduil's hand savoring the warmth. "Yes, he will grow up to be a strong warrior."

I sat up and Thranduil helped me to my feet. I stared at my son as he played with his toys, gnawing on a little wooden rattle.

I knew from my vision, at some point I would become a past tense. When would be the last time I would see my son?

I pulled Legolas tight into my arms , and whispered into his hair " Never forget how much I love you. My little leaf."

The next few days were a flurry of commotion as we prepared to march. But I took Legolas with me everywhere in a sling across my back.

He was such a happy baby. Cooing and giggling through war council meetings. No one seemed to mind him though. And Thranduil blamed my clinginess on the fact we would be gone for several months.

The day finally came for us to leave and I sat proudly on my elk cow beside Thranduil on his elk bull.

This was the first time I had worn my armor since I had landed in Mirkwood those years ago. Yet it still fit perfectly.

The horns sounded and we started the march out of Mirkwood. I looked back at my son where he sat cradled in Celediel's arms.

In that instant I knew , this would be the last time I would see my baby.

.

A/N: Guys don't hate me too much. I know this chapter is really bittersweet. I just want to remind you that things aren't always as they seem. And I am not Nicholas Sparks, I believe in happy endings.