Chapter 12: Discoveries

Past

"You do seem to have quite the fiery personality"

Caerwyn snorted back a laugh , "You have such a way with words."

A small grin tugged at the King's lips as he leaned back in his chair " Yes, Well, I am known to be quite eloquent, I might even persuaded to spout poetry if the occasion called for it."

A laugh spilled out of Caerwyn's throat, Thranduil immediately loved the sound , like clear tinkling bells. He wished that sound would greet him every day.
How had this elleth gotten under his skin so quickly? A pit in his stomach warned him to stay away from her but he felt himself falling further for her.

Thranduil cleared his throat and his face retuned to it's normal serious manner. "Let's return to the main matter at hand General Telcontar, you are a being of immense power that has fallen into my care. We need to figure out how to get you home but you can't remember where home is. So how, as a General, would you suggest we advance?"

A spark of sadness drifted through Caerwyn's eyes as she smoothed the skirts of her dress. "Maybe we start by collecting all I do know?"

The Elvenking nodded in agreement and pulled out a roll of parchment and a quill.

Caerwyn took a calming breath, "My name is Caerwyn Solaris Telcontar." 

Thranduil raised an eyebrow, a smirk playing on his lips. 

"What?" Caerwyn asked

The Elvenking shook his head, "I was just thinking your parents must have had a sense of humor, giving you a name meaning 'White Fortress of the Sun' "

"I had no idea."

The Elvenking nodded, "It is curious though your front two names are of the realm of men but your family name is of Quenya origin. Which makes me think maybe you are of noble blood."

Caerwyn paused , "You think I'm a noble?"

"You certainly hold yourself like one but you arrived here in full armor and claiming to be a general. I don't know of any noble houses that would allow their daughters to be warrior and what army would grant a woman the title of general. "

Without warning Thranduil threw a dagger at Caerwyn which she plucked easily out of the air. She stared at the dagger in her hand in shock. Before her grey gaze shifted to the Elvenking.
"You just tried to kill me."

The Elvenking titled his head in admission to that fact, "I was merely testing , to see if in fact you had skills as a warrior. Looking at your stance now and how you are holding that dagger, I'd say you are quite comfortable with weapons."

Caerwyn started, she hadn't even realized she had stood up. But her body seemed to act of its own accord and she was now in a crouched defensive position, dagger held loosely.

She placed the dagger on Thranduil's desk, sitting back down she smoothed her skirts. Clearly frazzled.

"Well General Telcontar, what else can you tell me about yourself?"

"I'm thirty years old."

It was the Elvenking's turn to look shocked, "How is that even possible? You would be but a child. Yet you are a fully mature elleth."

Caerwyn shrugged, an inelegant motion, "I know I am thirty. "

Thranduil ran a hand through his hair, the only thing that would make her age make sense is if she was in fact, as he had already begun to suspect , not an elf. Yet her appearance begged to differ.  Realization slowly lit his mind. "You are a Peredhel."

Caerwyn bristled instinctively, Thranduil noticed how her hackles seemed to rise at the term Peredhel, "And somehow I get the feeling that, the term peredhel bothers you."

"Yes, I am..." Caerwyn groaned and slumped over , clutching her head as pain shot through her like lightning. 

She felt the room spin as foreign images ran through her mind, a white tree, a man with a crown , blonde archer.  

Eventually Caerwyn came back to the present, she vaguely registered Thranduil calling out her name. She slowly opened her eyes as the pain subsided only to stare into his sky blue eyes. He brushed her white hair slowly away from her face with his hand.  "Can you hear me Caerwyn?"

She nodded mutely , his hands lingered on her face cupping her jaw. "Are you alright? Should I call for a healer?" He spoke softly like he was speaking to a frightened deer. 

"No, I'm fine. I had a vision...or a memory. I don't know which."

  "What did you see?"

"Just images jumbled together, like they were connected .....I think I'm part Dunedain."