Chapter 19: Rhoswyn

I stormed from the council chambers down the torch kit stone corridors towards my childhood chambers. Stopping before the wooden door, I brushed my fingers over the little painted roses, considerably faded with time and wear.
Caerwyn had done that when we were eight.
Painting was the only feminine art she was graced with.

I found my sister to be insufferable and self righteous most of the time. Flaunting her power and immortality. But. She was still my twin. And I love her. I felt her absence from this time like a hole in my chest.

We hadn't spoken in almost ten years. She had sent gifts for the births of each of my four children but she has yet to meet them. The last time she stepped foot in Rohan was at my wedding and things did not go well.

That is why I had to bring her back. I wanted my sister back.
I wanted my best friend back.

Gathering my few belongings I had brought in my mad dash from Rohan, I shoved them in my saddle bags. Ready to go to Mirkwood. Part of me was excited at the prospect. I had never been to Mirkwood. Only Caerwyn had visited since she was appointed liaison at fifteen.

Opening the door to my chambers I found Idwal. Caerwyn's shadow. Leaning against the far wall.
"The King has ordered me to accompany you."

I stared him down, " I don't need your help ,charlatan."

He simply shrugged , "Believe me, I would rather not accompany you but I have to obey orders, also there is the fact besides the Princess-General I'm the only outsider that has been allowed in Mirkwood for nearly a century. So your chances of getting to the Elvenking are greater with me."

I hated that Idwal was correct.

"Very well."

Down to the stables we went in silence. The less I had to hear Idwal's voice the better. I still don't understand what Caerwyn saw in him to bring him in as her second in command. He was rude , crass and not to mention his sordid past as a courtesan.

I sighed shaking my head as I mounted my horse, First.

And away we rode. I did not enjoy trip down the river barge. The quarters were cramped and the sailors were crass and smelly. I imagine that Caerwyn felt right at home on the boat. Knowing her though she was probably bored out of her skull on these long river trips and probably wished for river pirates or something.

Finally we made it to the halls of the Elvenking. Leaving First, at the stables I noted Caerwyn's horse, Second, was still in the elves care and seemed to be in good health. I would inspect him later. You don't marry into the royal family of Rohan and not learn the proper care of horses.

Idwal watched me closely as I stormed up to the gates of the Elvenking's halls. Probably worried I would cause an international incident. Please, I had more tact than that.

I turned to the sentry at the gates, and spoke in my best Elvish "Would you please inform Thranduil Elvenking , that Princess Rhoswyn and Spymaster Idwal are here to see them."

Idwal raised an eyebrow in question, I glared at him , " What? My mother made sure we all knew Elvish so we can appreciate our heritage."

Idwal chuckled , " It's not the Elvish that surprised me, I just didn't think you were capable of being polite."

"If we were in Rohan, I would have you beheaded."

"Yes, well fortunately the Princess-General has forbidden me from ever stepping foot in Rohan, she thinks you are still upset about the business between me and your former beau."

If only I had a crumb of my sister's power I would have burned Idwal to ash. "I could care less about your ...dealings...with Lord Orlo."

"Your actions speak otherwise."

I was about to refute that claim when a polite cough echoed behind us. An elf with russet colored hair and a large scar across his face stood before us in full armor. " If you children are done squabbling , I'll escort you to his Majesty's studies."

I breezed past Idwal into the Elvenking's halls, "Lead the way."

I couldn't help but stare in wonder at the beauty of Mirkwood, it all seemed to be grown straight from the forest and stone, graceful arches and sweeping bridges that looked like tree branches,no railings to keep the inhabitants from falling. A pang of jealousy ran through me that Caerwyn got to experience this beauty so often.

Shaking my head I refocused on the task at hand, finding what had happened to my sister.

The scarred guard led us through a set of giant carved oak doors. inside was an unexpectadly cozy study, Thranduil Elvenking sat behind his desk. He looked up at me like a stern school master. I sat down in a plush chair in front of his desk. His eyes narrowed at me.

"If you wouldn't mind moving to a different chair, that was Caerwyn's chair and seeing you in it..."

I didn't fail to notice the shift in his eyes, the sadness in them was overwhelming , I shifted seats, "Please, Thranduil, I just want to know what has become of my sister. "

He stared me down, "Very well, Princess Rhoswyn, but I will warn you. This tale will bring you nothing but sadness. "

The Elvenking downed a glass of wine and opened his desk drawer, he pulled out what was unmistakably Caerwyn's silver mask and slid it across the desk toward me.

I held it gingerly running my finger over the runes.

A/N: So just a random tidbit Rhoswyn's horse, First is the older brother of Caerwyn's horse , Second. Crown prince Elfwine is horrible at naming. For example Rhoswyn and Elfwine's children are named Aadhan ( it means Be First), Seachlainn (which means Second) , Tressa ( It means Third) and Icelyn ( Because she was born in an ice storm)