Chapter 30: Thar be Dragons

The march over the Gray Mountains was set at a grueling pace for we wanted to reach the northern settlements as quick as possible.

For Caerwyn it felt like a march to her death. Maybe she was wrong, she hoped she was wrong.
But she knew there was no way she could stay in Mirkwood and let her husband go face the dragons alone.

The first settlements they reached where nothing more than smouldering ruins. Caerwyn said a prayer to Eru , in hopes that they were not too late.

The following day they met the first of the northern humans along with their first dragon.
With Caerwyns ability to deflect the dragons fire and their arsenal of black arrows a seed of hope was planted in her heart that maybe she would see her son again after all.

Their march continue for months as the number of dragons they slayed rose so did her spirits.

Until that one fateful day.

Thranduil POV

My wife had become more quiet and withdrawn since we started the march North.
I knew there was more to her vision then she let on but any attempts to pry the information from her usually ended in an argument.
Maybe the constant use of her magic was wearing on her.

All I could do was hold her tight in our tent every night. My beloved Starlight.

It was noon upon the hundredth day of our march. Caerwyn had scouted ahead into a blackened forest with some of the human warriors from the remaining human settlements who had merged with my army. When I hear her voice shouting in anger through the wind.

I urge my elk to dash forward through the forest. The sight of the blackened trees sending shivers down my spine. This could have been Mirkwood.

Then I hear the unmistakably whirlwind of a dragons wings, a roar so loud it rattles my bones. I urge my elk on faster.

I feel the searing heat before I see the rush of flame. The trees are on fire again, billowing pyres of ash and smoke cloud my vision.
I burst into a clearing to see Caerwyn shielding herself from the dragons flame.

The bodies of the two scouts that were with her are unrecognizable, they were still partially on fire.

The dragon stops it's onslaught for a moment and I take my chance, raising my bow and arrow , aiming for it's eye.

Caerwyn turns to me in horror, her shield momentarily drops.

The dragon takes its chance and a column of fire dances around Caerwyn around her, consuming her.
And heads directly towards me.

The last thing I hear before falling into darkness my world consumed by fire is my name screamed from my wife's lips.

Her scream would haunt my nightmares for centuries to come.

A/N: Okay my lovely readers sorry for making such an important chapter so short. I got a little excited. Not about Caerwyn possibly being dead. Yeah no ,that's bad. But anyway PLEASE don't stop reading. I know many of you are sad (and probably angry at me) but this is far from the end of the story. If fact it's probably only the half point. Just keep reading and I promise things will make sense. I'm not done with ThranWyn yet.

Love you all!