Chapter 8: Who am I?

I awoke with a mind splitting headache, like my head had been carved in two by an axe.

My eyes flitted open and I took in the room around me, the only light was the warm glow of the fireplace.

The sheets beneath me were soft, Elvish water silk. How did I know that?

Right, I was in Mirkwood, home of King Thranduil. I...How did I get here?
An aching sense told me I did not belong here.

How did I know that I didn't belong?
My head felt as it was full of cotton as the pain started to ebb away.

What did I know?
My name is Caerwyn Telcontar, I am thirty years old, I am from....
Where was I from?

Panic started to rise in my chest. My breath came out in panted gasps as the panic consumed me. I could feel sweat trickling down my body as it started to shake.

My vision blurred, from somewhere I heard my name called by a deep male voice, a soothing hand rubbed my back.

The voice kept repeating my name, telling me it's okay, till eventually some part of me believed it. My vision returned and my breathing regulated.

I looked to the source of the soothing voice , King Thranduil, I tilted my head, " Thank you,Majesty."

His hand continued rubbing my back, "It is nothing General."

"General?"

"Is that not your title? That is what you told me upon our first meeting."

"I...I can't remember."

His sky blue eyes, widened briefly in shock, "What do you mean, you can't remember?"

I shrugged away from his warm touch , "Exactly as I said."

He touched the aged leather bracers on my arms "You once told me the story of these, they were a gift from your father, do you remember that?"

" I have a father?" I asked in a mystified whisper.

Thranduil's mouth twitched and he made a sound in the back of his throat like he was trying to suppress a laugh. "Yes, well usually a being coming into existence requires a father."

I stared at him in annoyance "Yes, I am well aware of how babies are made, I'm not an idiot I just have amnesia."

His mouth briefly twitched in a full grin. He was teasing me.

I stood up quickly, fighting a sudden wave of nausea, I wobbled on my feet.  Thranduil was by me in an instant his warm hand on my lower back steering me back to the bed.
I sat on the edge of the bed with my head between my knees.

"I'll have a servant fetch Lord Elrond." Thranduil announced

I felt the bed shift as Thranduil sat down next to me. His hand once again on my back rubbing small circles.
The nausea passed and I looked into Thranduil's eyes.

He tilted his head "Feeling better?"

"Yes, Thank You."

In one swift motion he stood and walked over to stand next to the fire. An appropriate distance for a married man and unmarried woman alone in a room together.
Well looks like there is something else I know.

There was a soft knock at the door before Lord Elrond entered, Lady Galadriel trailing behind him. 

Lord Elrond kneeled before me, pressing his hands on either side of my face, he closed his eyes and his hands emitted a warm glow.  His eyebrows furrowed in concentration before snapping open, His brown eyes stared into mine. 

He stood glaring at Galadriel , a vein twitched in his forehead and he worked to reign in his emotions, "My lady , was it necessary to damage her mind so?"

"She possessed dangerous knowledge, we could not have released upon Middle Earth, lest its fate change. Her memories are simply locked away till we send her back to where she came from."

Lord Elrond rubbed the bridge of his nose, "Yes, but how are we supposed to get her back home, if you have locked away the knowledge of where home is?"

"I don't have to justify myself to you , young-one."

Thranduil spoke from where he leaned against the fireplace mantle , "So do you plan on helping find her home or will you both leave me with a very powerful amnesiac?"

The three rulers of the elven realms dived into a polite debate which was practically a screaming match as far as elves are concerned.  

As I sat and watched , I felt my frustration rise, fire started to crackle over my skin, my hair billowing out of its braid in a wind of my own making. I stood, my feet leaving smoldering footprints on the rich carpets. 

"Enough." I said in a low voice, my voice echoed off the walls, reverberating with power. 

The three stopped and stared at me, Thranduil's eyes going wide. He took a step toward me hand out stretched, "Caerwyn."  He breathed my name, no louder than a whisper."

The flames on my skin died down, and I took a deep calming breath, "Please stop arguing, I just want to know, who I am and where I came from. Can you help me?"

Thranduil rested his hand on the leather bracer that encased my forearm, "I give you my solemn promise as Elvenking, you will find your home."