Chapter 32: Only You

"Well, Isn't this just a shit show."

Everyone turned to the cloaked figure, lurking by the door.

The figure threw back the hood of their cloak and it felt like all the oxygen had been sucked out of the room. Thranduil sat with shock and Idwal's dagger clattered uselessly to the ground.

Rhoswyn covered her mouth stifling a scream, tears flowing freely.

Meldiron was the first to speak, "Please tell me I'm not insane and everyone can see the spirit standing there."

Idwal nodded mutely before finding his voice, "No, I see it too."

Thranduil stood and took a shaking step towards the figure, "Why now are you coming to torment me spirit?"

The figure laughed, a clear bell like sound that struck pain into Thranduil's heart, "Because I'm pissed. You broke your promise to me."

Thranduil continued to walk toward the figure, hand outstretched, he expected his hand to go straight through the spectre , but instead his fingers grazed against the rough wool of their cloak.

He reached out and wrapped her in his embrace. Feeling her warmth against him. "I know this is but a dream but I pray I may never wake."

This dream even smelled like her. Like wildflowers and crackling fire. And her hair, even though it was dirty, was still that brilliant starlight white he was so fond of.

A swift jab in the ribs , had him stumbling backwards in pain. "I am no dream, idiot, I'm your wife."

Rhoswyn stood and walked over to her twin, and stared into her eyes. "Caerwyn, is it really you?"

Caerwyn smirked ,"Yeah,Rhos it's me."

Rhoswyn pulled her twin into her arms sobbing, "I thought you were dead and I would never get the chance to tell you how sorry I am."

Caerwyn patted her twins back trying to comfort her, "It's okay, I forgave you long ago, I was just too stubborn to admit it. "

Rhoswyn released her twin, tears stained her face, Idwal took this moment to step forward, "Princess-General , The Elvenking told us you were dead , yet here you stand. How is this possible?"

" It's a rather long story, that I will tell in time. But right now I want nothing more to scream at my husband and have a very long bath."

Meldiron snapped out of his stupor and ushered Rhoswyn and Idwal out of the Elvenking's study. He had known Caerwyn long enough , to know how volatile her temper was. He pitied his King.

Caerwyn turned toward Thranduil as the door clicked shut. He sat behind his desk a look of dispair in his eyes. She released a pent in sigh.

"I'm trying so hard to be angry at you. I disappeared from the world, but instead of being the strong King and father you promised me you would be you fell victim to your dispair and became the cold hearted hermit king."

She sat in her favorite chair across his desk. She reached for his hand. Tracing her finger over the familiar calluses. Quietly she spoke, "More than my anger at you, I'm sad that I did not get to watch our son grow up, that he did not know how much I loved him. "

Tears now moistened her face, "Our son had to face such hardships alone."

Thranduil rounded his desk and took Caerwyn into his arms as her sobs wracked her body. Two millennia of grief crashed down upon Thranduil as his tears came out in a strangled cry.
"I'm sorry, I'm sorry." Is all he could say. Repeating it over and over again.

Eventually, they had both run out of tears. Caerwyn pulled back slightly staring at her husband's face. She saw right through his illusion. She ran a hand over the ruined side. "I'm sorry I could not protect you better."

Thranduil smirked , " I think that is what I'm supposed to say."

Caerwyn shrugged, " We protect each other."

A playful look entered Thranduil's eyes for the first time in countless years, "It seems like you are done screaming at me, how about that bath now."

Caerwyn smirked , "Really husband, you go from mournful to horny in a matter of seconds. You act like you haven't been laid in two thousand years."

"I haven't been."

Caerwyn's eyes rounded in mock surprise. "I find that hard to believe, surely some maid caught your eye. You believed me dead. I wouldn't blame you for having a mistress."

Thranduil pulled Caerwyn close kissing the top of her head," There was no mistresses or lovers or one night romances. "

"But why?" Caerwyn asked quietly

"Because , Starlight, once you have lain with the love of your life, once you have bonded with someone so completely in body and spirit. No one else can compare."

Thranduil kissed Caerwyn's forehead. "There was only ever you, my love."

A/N: Well, aren't you glad that Caerwyn isn't dead. Maybe I should have left her "dead" a few more chapters to build up the suspense? Nah. I couldn't do that. I love the character too much.

Now that We have reached the halfway point in the story. I'd like to announce I'm gonna take a little break. Maybe just a week off, though knowing me I'll probably take half a day before starting the next chapter.
What can I say I love you guys too much to keep you guys hanging. I mean I rushed the last three chapters just for that reason.

Anyway thank you my wonderful readers for sticking by me this far. You guys are the best!
Love you!