Chapter 11: Confrontations

Back in present time.

King Thranduil swirled his wine about in the crystal glass. He stopped bothering to count how much wine he consumed each day a long time ago. It helped dull the constant pain he felt.

Pain from the nerve damage inflicted by dragon fire. And pain from the loss of his wife to the same dragon that scarred him for the rest of eternity.

If it weren't for his son he would have left Middle Earth long ago. His son. He didn't even know where his son was, last news he heard was Legolas was traveling Middle Earth in the company of a dwarf.

Thranduil threw back his glass of wine, savoring the burning sensation that slid down his throat and sat in his stomach. 

A sharp knock on his office door , dragged him from his morose thoughts. "There better be a good reason, I'm being disturbed." 

The head of his captain of the guard, Meldiron, popped through the door. "Pardon the intrusion, My King, but Idwal the spy master has returned and refuses to leave until he is granted an audience with you."

Thranduil sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose, he could already feel a headache coming on. Idwal was insufferably loyal.  

"Should I just throw him in the dungeon , My King?"

Thranduil's eyes snapped toward Meldiron, "Idwal is a spy master, a very good one at that, I would be disappointed if it took him longer than a minute to break out of my dungeons."

Thranduil poured another glass of wine and threw it back quickly , "Send him in."

Meldiron bowed and backed out of the room, as soon as he was gone , Idwal stormed in , he threw a book down on Thranduil's desk , flipping it open to a section, "Explain this to me."

Thranduil raised an eyebrow, "Careful how you speak to me , Spy Master, I'm not above executing you, no matter who you serve."

Idwal glared at the Elvenking, fury igniting his green eyes, " Pardon me , Your Majesty , but would you please care to explain to me, why the Lady Galadriel's personal journal from two thousand years ago details a lady , whose description perfectly matches that of the Princess-General, staying here in Mirkwood."

The Elvenking leaned forward resting his hands on his desk. "It is a rather long and complicated story. "

Idwal sunk into the chair across the desk, the look he carried similar to the determination that was last seen in the eyes of one other who frequently inhabited that chair. 

"I'm patient."

Thranduil sighed, "I did warn you, that in looking for the General, you would find nothing but heartache." 

                        *****
A/N: So what do you guys think Thranduil keeps telling Idwal to forget Caerwyn for? Any theories on what happens? Cause I'm not telling yet. Spoilers, darling.