Chapter 23: SAY WHATTTT

Present

"Wait, wait, wait. Hold on a minute. You mean to tell me my sister agreed to marry you?" Rhoswyn scoffed

The Elvenking quirked an eyebrow in annoyance. "Is that so difficult to believe?"

Idwal coughed back a laugh, " No offence , Your Majesty but it seems like the Princess-General we know is quite different than the Caerwyn you knew. The only time I ever saw her have interest in a man was if she was going to duel them or pry information from them."

Rhoswyn nodded in agreement, "For a while I even thought she was attracted to woman."

Idwal snorted, " Yeah, many people did, I even had a betting pool going."

Rhoswyn looked at Idwal in shock, " THAT was YOU?!?! I lost ten gold on it."

Idwal roared in laughter.

The Elvenking rapped his knuckles on his desk to bring the attention of the squabbling children back to him.
Rhoswyn and Idwal starred at him wide eyed.

Rhoswyn regained her princess-like composure, a shadow flitted across the Elvenking's face, her expression mirrored one he had seen on Caerwyn's face so many times.

"But what happened to Caerwyn if you ended marrying the Elvenqueen, your late wife?"

The Elvenking tilted his head in confusion, " I'm not sure I understand your question , Princess Rhoswyn."

"Well, you say you were engaged to my sister but you ended up marrying your now late wife, the mother of Prince Legolas. So what happened to Caerwyn?"

The Elvenking sighed rubbing the bridge of his nose. "Princess Rhoswyn, I believe you are confused."

"How so your majesty?"

"Your sister Caerwyn, and my late wife are one in the same."

A silence so deep, permeated the room, that the wind outside could be heard whispering through the trees.

Finally the silence was broken by Rhoswyn breaking into loud laughter. "You had me going for a second there, Your Majesty, I didn't know you were capable of jesting."

"Caerwyn said a similar thing to me once."

Rhoswyn brushed a tear from her eyes that had crinkled up in laughter. "So tell me honestly what happened to my sister."

Idwal looked like he was about to puke. He leaned over towards Rhoswyn ,"Princess, I think he speaks the truth. The Elvenking has never been known to lie. Some say he isn't even capable of lying."

Meldiron stepped forward from the corner of The Elvenking's office. "If I may, the King was once my greatest friend and sworn brother, I can vouch that he speaks the truth."

Rhoswyn pivoted in her seat to stare down Meldiron, " And who exactly are you? "

Meldiron bowed smartly, " I'm General Meldiron, I oversee the King's army, I also was the Queen's escort at their wedding."

The color blanched from Rhoswyn's face, "If I'm to believe you. That means that Legolas is my nephew."

The Elvenking nodded mutely.

Rhoswyn let out a high pitched shriek. And she ruffled her hair in frustration. " You're telling me that I once had a crush on my nephew!"

Idwal snorted , "Everyone in Minas Tirith had a crush on Legolas, he's the only elf that most of them had ever seen. Hell, even I found him attractive."

Rhoswyn turned her attention to the Elvenking," Why did you not say anything? You could have stopped this all. Caerwyn could have never been made emissary, and she would still be here!"

The Elvenking tilted his head in acknowledgement of this fact, "Yes, I could have but then my son would have never been born and the crucial part he played in helping your father win the war would have never happened."
The Elvenking took a deep calming breath ," Plus I believed my wife dead, but imagine my surprise when thirty years ago I sense her power enter back into Middle Earth. Only to find a tiny white haired child. I kept an eye on her as she grew out of curiosity, I initially thought her to be my wife reborn. But then I discovered she actually was my wife and knew she would disappear from this time, but I didn't know when. "

Rhoswyn felt a wave of nausea run through her. "How did my sister die?"

The Elvenking shook his head, " Not yet, first I will tell you how she lived."

A/N: Holy Chicken Nuggets! Sorry for dropping that bombshell on you guys. It had to be done. I promise you though not everything is as it seems. Next chapter will be a happy chapter as I will tell you in advance that it is ThranWyn's wedding. Please keep reading! You guys are the best!