Chapter 6: Family Meeting

Past

After Briala had run a bath for me I just sat soaking in the forever warm water glad to finally be rid of the Orc gore that coated my hair for maker knows how long.

It had taken six buckets of steaming water and almost a whole bottle of shampoo to get it all out. Now my long glowing hair hung over the back of the tub as Briala brushed it.

I sighed running my finger over the runes on my mask. There wasn't really a point to wearing it as my potential assassins wouldn't be born for almost two thousand years.

With a muttered enchantment my mask fell off my face and into the tub with a soft plunk.

Mistress Briala looked at me with wide eyes ," My Lady, without your mask it is even more uncanny how much you resemble the Lady Galadriel."

I chuckled , " Yes, so I've been told."

Briala stopped her brushing, " I didn't mean to offend you My Lady."

I turned my head to look at Briala , her large brown eyes dilated with fear. I smile to reassure her. "The only thing that offends me , Mistress Briala, is being called Lady, my title is General, I have earned it well and aim to use it."

She bowed her head "yes of course my..General."

I smile to hide the worries in my mind, what was life like in this time that caused the proud and outspoken Mistress Briala I knew to be so frightened. I knew so little of this period in time. Even less of the elvish history.

I climbed out of the tub and sent a blast of warm air to instantly dry my body and air.

Briala's wide eyes , looked at me with a flicker of awe, that was practically screaming by elvish standards.
"General, how much power do you hold that you use magic for mundane tasks?"

I shrugged , and wrapped the towel she held around my body "Where I come from I am one of two magic users left, neither of us bothered to try and check."

"Why is that?"

"Because the other magic user is a haughty hermit king. Who's heart has been bound in ice. "

Briala nodded to herself. Probably storing the information to pass along to Thranduil.

She handed me a tunic and breeches of a fine make. "His majesty thought you would be comfortable in these till we can have some clothes made for you."

I nodded my thanks before sliding them over my under garments that Briala had taken care to clean.

The breeches hung loosely on me and I had to roll up the legs as Thranduil was seven inches taller than me. I admired the beautiful silver stitches on the black fabric. As I stuffed the legs into the top of my boots. The tunic was made of the finest cotton dyed a shimmering silver color.

I rolled up the sleeves to my elbows and strapped on my leather bracers.
Briala gave me a sidelong look of disapproval.

"The bracers were a gift from father he wore them to claim victory over a great evil and bring peace to our land before him they were worn by a man he called brother, Boromir."

"Such a strong legacy." A deep voice spoke from the doorway.
I turned to see King Thranduil leaning against the door frame. His pupils dilated as he saw my mask less face. He scratched the back of his head and flicked his long ponytail over his shoulder. The silvery gold shimmering in the torch light.

Pushing off against the door frame he strode toward me. He looked so different, his eyes didn't carry the sorrow they did when I knew him. Possibly his wife was still alive.

He sat in a plush armchair across from where Briala was braiding my thigh length hair.

"So General Caerwyn Telcontar. You remember how I told you my Council was going crazy because they thought the Lady Galadriel was roaming the forest."

My eyes narrowed as I starred at the Elven King. I did not like where this was going.

As if reading my uneasy thoughts, Thranduil continued " Well, It seems as if more than just my council noticed your presence. The Lady Galadriel is here... along with Lord Elrond."

I stood in shock, looking around for an exit , " This is not good, they cannot learn of my presence. It could be dangerous."

"Why would that be young one?"  A voice echoed in my head.

I looked at Thranduil in further shock "Galadriel knows I'm here."

Thranduil sighed, "Well then General you have two options, You can stay here and be found and face whatever danger you speak of or follow me and attempt to escape from the halls of Mirkwood."

I didn't trust Thranduil as far as I could throw him, but I was all out of options. "Lead the way Your Highness." 

Thranduil smirked and threw a cloak over my shoulders, pulling the hood over my bright hair, shrouding my face. He motioned for me to follow him and we descended through the halls of Mirkwood. Further downward I could hear the sound of rushing water.

"Why are you running , young one?"   Galadriel's voice echoed once again in my head. 

I should have kept quiet. But my impulsive nature wouldn't let me. "Because we cannot meet in this life, Old one?"

I felt her bristle at being called old, stories were always told of her vanity. "And why can we not meet?"

"I am a child of carrying the blood of the houses of Lothlorien and Rivendell along with the Kings of Men. " 

Just silence followed, I followed Thranduil around a bend in the cave-like halls , there was a small dock upon it stood , Lady Galadriel and Lord Elrond. I tried backing up but Thranduil grabbed me by the shoulders pushing me forward. I looked toward him hurt brimming in my eyes. I know I shouldn't have trusted him. 

His expression was that of sorrow, and he mumbled, "I am new to being King, I cannot deny the wishes of two of the most powerful beings in the land."