Chapter 17: Catching feelings

I ran through the forest blindly. Mad tears streaming down my face.
I could feel my cheeks burning with embarrassment.

Why did I run?

The better question is why did I kiss the Elvenking? It felt so right. But. Then there was this pit in my stomach ,a knot of anxiety and all these doubts came crashing in.

We barely knew each other. Three days , that was it.

But.

Some part of me felt like I have known him for years. I couldn't remember. Maybe I have known him for years.

And I know he told me those beautiful things and there was earnestness in his eyes. But. Why me? I am nobody. He could just be playing with me.

I continued crashing through the forest, I didn't even know where I was going. I just ran. Ran right into a tree branch.

I took the tree branch right to the head, like I needed anymore head trauma. I stopped dead in my tracks and touched my head as I felt something wet dripping down my face, my fingers came back bloody.

Great another thing.

Everything just seemed to pile on top of each other and I crashed to my knees and just sobbed, my breath coming out in great gasps , I curled myself into the roots of the tree, my knees tucked to my chest, and just sobbed.

I cried for the person I am now, and the person I was, but would never know.

It felt like forever that I cried, but eventually I cried myself out , curling further against the tree, I fell into a deep sleep.

......

Thranduil

I slowly made my way through the forest. Not because I couldn't find Caerwyn , in her rush, she left a rather easy trail to follow.

But

My heart ached at what I might find. What if she just decided to run away, out of Mirkwood? Away from me. I know I was part of a horrible legacy but was I such a terrible prospect?

She was such a beautiful enigma. I would spend my eternity by her side learning her mysteries if she would allow it.

I stepped into a clearing and there she was curled against a tree, fast asleep her head covered in.....blood.

I dashed across the clearing , my heart pounding in panic. Why was her head covered in blood?

Why is it every time I find her, she was injured in some way?

She was so smart and fierce yet so fragile.

I knelt before her, feeling immediate relief as I beheld the gentle rise and fall of her chest as she peacefully slept. Gently I pushed her blood matted hair away from her face. I watched intently as a gash on her forehead knit itself back together.

"You are the most magical elleth. " I whispered to her.

Scooting closer to her I leaned my back against the tree and shifted her slightly so that my shoulder now acted as her pillow. I would let her sleep , based upon the red around her eyes she had cried herself to sleep.

I slowly drifted off to sleep listening to the steady rhythm of Caerwyn's breathing.
This was a welcome break from my kingly duties.

......
Caerwyn

As I slept in the forest, I felt myself slip into a dream.

There was a great white citadel, perched next to a mountain. I knew this place, it felt like home, it felt safe.

I walked through the torch lit corridors, as if I knew exactly where I was going, I came to a wooden door with little roses painted on it. I ran my fingers over the roses...I had painted them.

Pushing the door open, I walked into the sunlit chamber, there was a woman sitting at a vanity with her back toward me, brushing out her long brown hair.

She turned toward me and I couldn't help but step back in shock, she had my face, except it wasn't , her eyes were green where mine were grey. She tilted her head and smiled at me.

I awoke with a gasp. My eyes snapped open and I looked out into the forest, night was starting to fall , coloring everything a golden honey color.

My head was resting against something hard, yet warm, sitting up I was shocked to see the Elvenking resting peacefully against the tree. I had been using his shoulder as a pillow.

How long had he been here? Why didn't he wake me?

I looked at his sleeping form, and something bubbled in my stomach. I knew for a fact that I did feel something for him. I might not understand my feelings but I knew they were real.

I brushed a stray bit of his platnium hair out of his face , his hand whipped out and grabbed me by the wrist. His sky blue eyes slowly opened staring at me intently, he brought my hand to his lips and gently kissed the palm.

lowering my hand, he interlaced his fingers with mine and brought it back to his lips, laying another featherlight kiss on my knuckles. All the while his eyes burned into me, I felt heat rise within my cheeks.

"Glad to see your awake."

I smiled back at him , " Same could be said for you."

He laughed , " Yes, well. We better head back before Meldiron sends out a search party."

He stood brushing himself off and started to walk back in the direction of his halls.

"Wait."

He turned and looked at me anticipation shining in his eyes.
I closed the distance between us placing my hand on his forearm. " Thank you for finding me."

He smiled softly at me, "I will always find you."

I smiled back. " I know."