Chapter 28: To War

"Then tell the Northern settlements that Mirkwood will answer."

Thranduil stared at Caerwyn  incredulously, how had his wife agreed to go to war against dragons so easily?
"No, absolutely not. I will not risk the lives of our people again. We are just now seeing Mirkwood flourish again, I will not jeopardize that to save a few settlements."

Fire started to dance upon Caerwyn's skin as anger flashed in her eyes. She handed Legolas over to Meldiron as not to burn him. "I don't care if it is just a few settlements, when we signed that trade agreement with them it became a bond between us. Our neighbors call for aid and I will see you do the right thing , Thranduil, and help them. We are immortal we have a million lifetimes to make a profit. "

Thranduil sighed feeling a headache coming, "Beloved, it's not just the cost that makes me hesitate. It's our people , their lives. Even our best warriors stand little chance against dragons. "

"That is why I will ride with you."

Thranduil snapped his head towards Meldiron "Take Legolas to Mistress Briala, I have manners to discuss with my wife. Also inform the rest of the council we will meet in an hour."

Meldiron quickly took the infant out of the forest clearing back to the Elvenking's halls, very much relieved to not have to witness the explosive argument that was about to happen.

Thranduil looked back to his wife. "Under no uncertain terms are you riding to war with me."

"Thranduil, I'm invulnerable to fire and only second to you as a warrior, not bringing me to fight the dragons would be foolish."

"ENOUGH" Thranduil slammed his hand on the table ,"You are not going, in fact no one is going. I WILL NOT RISK MIRKWOOD ON ANOTHER WAR!"

The flames on Caerwyn's skin grew brighter, her hair flowing about her , as her anger grew. "I DON'T WANT TO RISK MIRKWOOD EITHER!!!" Caerwyn took a calming breath, "But it's the right thing to do. Not to mention, who says the dragons would stop with the North. What's to stop them from coming over the mountains and striking Mirkwood next? I don't want to see my home burn. "

Thranduil sat back down with a defeated sigh. He knew his wife to be correct. As much as he hated to admit it, she was generally always right.
"Fine."

Caerwyn blinked in surprise, the flames on her skin dying down. She had expected her husband to put up more of a fight. "Really, just like that?"

Thranduil looked at Caerwyn with a raised eyebrow, "Nothing, happens just like that. Just because I agree with you, doesn't mean it will still happen, even though I am King, I still must get approval of my council. I can't blindly go to war, even if it is the right thing. "

Caerwyn stepped closer to Thranduil and rested her hand on his shoulder, "I'm sorry beloved. Even though I don't remember my life before you, I believe I am still the same person, and that person cannot allow people to suffer, when she knows she can help them." 

Thranduil took Caerwyn's hand and kissed it , "I understand your want to charge forward, and help but there is a process to be followed ."

Caerwyn yanked hard on Thranduil's arm , dragging him to his feet, "Well then , Beloved, we have a council to meet with. "

"Valar preserve me, how did I end up married to such a headstrong elleth?"

Caerwyn laughed and kissed Thranduil's nose, "You had a choice, you pursued me first."

Thranduil pulled Caerwyn close to him, kissing her forehead, "Starlight, when it came to you I never had a choice or a chance. You fell into my life and I fell madly in love with you. " 

Caerwyn kissed his jaw, "I love you too."

The Queen pulled back from her King , "Come  I think the council awaits."

Thranduil let out a pent in breath, and they walked back to their halls, hand in hand. 

The large wooden doors of the council chambers loomed before them, the guards shoved them open, the other council members already sat in their chairs, they stood as their King and Queen entered, and took their seats at the head of the table. 

The Elvenking looked to his council, "Has Meldiron apprised you of the situation?"

Lauridus , the minister of finance was the first to speak, "As you are well aware, your majesties, this year is the first year that the kingdom has seen any sort of profit. So." he paused for a moment collecting his thoughts, "I have run the numbers and if we are wise with our resources, I believe we can aid the North and still come out even this year."

Thranduil turned the rest of his council, "What say the rest of you?"

Celediel let out a sigh, " It is right to come to the aid of our allies, I will stay and care for Legolas." she signed. 

Nestarion nodded, " I shall summon the combat healers, we will need to make lots of burn salve."

Meldiron was the last to speak, " I have never slayed a dragon before. I  will get the smithies working on black arrows." 

Thranduil looked to everyone around the council room, a grim expression on his countenance , "Very well it is decided , sound the horns, Mirkwood is going to war."