Chapter 19: She's My Responsibility

۞ 
Chapter Nighteen

Wei Wuxian’s beautiful face was sullen as he walked towards the seemingly inhabited mountain nearby. He had an inkling that something big was going to happen. But maybe he was just overthinking, reminiscing about his past and the bloody battle that had occurred in this same place. Or feeling complex for the relationship that had started to become knotty when a confused man who couldn’t express himself and an arrogant demonic cultivator who could not understand what’s good for him reunited after a long parting.

But his inkling ended up right. Even though it wasn’t still too late for him to stop the worst from happening.

“What do you think you’re doing, hmmn?” Wei Wuxian sweetly asked after he let his red clothed lady to snatch the signal flare from the suspicious man in blatant sun-and-flame robes.

They caught this Wen cultivator spying around the Jiang Sect base and fortunately stopped him before he could light up the Wen Sect’s signal flare. And it was not just him, they had already caught a few more Wen cultivators before this man.

When the man did not answer, Wei Wuxian walked towards him slowly as his pair of grey orbs akin to limpid autumn water gradually turned to crimson. “You want to tip-off?”

The voice of the beautiful woman before him was as sweet as honey but he couldn’t stop the shiver running down his spine as his eyes met hers. The Wen cultivator unstably back away. This earned a laugh from the woman. Who was she really? To suddenly show up here? Could it be…

But his thoughts were immediately cut short. Looking down, the Wen cultivator was horrified to see blood blossoming on his chest followed by the pain and hollowness in the place where his heart should have been located.

“You… you are… Zhengyu… Zhengyu Xiangu!” he murmured with dilated eyes before his soul left his body.

“Now, who’s next?” wiping his hand stained with blood, Wei Wuxian raised his head to ask the demonic beast who was currently resting on the branch of a nearby Ginkgo tree.

“Northwest,” Elder Heiying stated as though it was obvious and Wei Wuxian was so stupid to even ask him.

Wei Wuxian rolled his eyes and waited for his next target.

“Wait,” The dog’s ear suddenly pricked up, his nose sniffing intently.

Wei Wuxian lifted an elegant eyebrow and leaped to where the dog was standing. Resting his side against the trunk of the Ginkgo tree, Wei Wuxian crossed his arms over his ample bosom and smiled mirthfully.

Wei Wuxian, “Wen Rouhan is finally willing to show his trump card?”

The raid in Gusu was the first and the last time that Wen Rouhan had used his puppets. The fact that Wei Wuxian successfully stopped his pets from afflicting the city of Gusu might be the one that contributed to this decision.

Now, Wei Wuxian wanted to know what tricks Sect Leader Wen has up his sleeve.

“Let’s give them a warm welcome then,” Wei Wuxian picked up the dog with his one hand and disappeared towards the concentration of resentful energy.

As they got nearer to their target, Elder Heiying couldn’t help but frown. Even Wei Wuxian slowed down on his flight. If his sword was a spiritual one and not what he had forged along with resentful energy, it would be agitated by now from the presence of thick miasma of resentful energy.