Chapter 40: The Reunion

⸞۞

Chapter Fourty

The Burial Mounds, a mountain known for its eerie and gloomy atmosphere, was covered with black miasma all year round. Spanning from its foot to the peak was like a veil that prevents people from peering what it really was like inside. Even though it was a common knowledge that, like its name suggests, the Burial Mounds should be a mass grave and a haven for walking corpses and vengeful spirits, no person had really seen and live to tell the outside world what it looked like inside.

While the cultivation world was in uproar because of the current campaign to overthrow the tyrannical regimen of the Wens, the Burial Mounds remained the same sturdy harbour of evil, or so what the outside world could see. Because instead of harbouring evil, this place where many people would choose to stay away from, was giving shelter to the innocent and powerless people caught in the war.

At this time, three cultivators and a dog stood at the entrance of the mountain. They came straight from Yueyang and only arrived at Yiling in the middle of the night. It was advantageous for them as this was the best moment to enter the mountain as discreetly as possible.

"Are we really going to enter this mountain?" the youngest from the group asked.

"I thought you want to learn my tricks and yet don't have the courage to enter the Burial Mounds?" a woman under her veil chuckled.

How could this be the same? Just the amount of resentful energy needed to perform demonic tricks and the one present in the Burials Mounds were drastically different. This little friend might be a daredevil, but he was not oblivious of the stories about the Burial Mounds. It was tacitly agreed upon that no one could come out alive from this cursed place. Majority would try to avoid just being near it. He couldn't really see the reason why would they voluntarily seek death. After all, he was still too young to commit suicide.

Seeing the undisguised reluctance in the kid's eyes, the woman in veil laughed even harder. The man beside her sighed as he silently supported her. She laughed for quite some time before stopping.

The veiled woman tried to catch her breath as she decided to be serious once and for all, "My bad, my bad. The walls have ears and I really can't explain it here to you. But trust your Master. If I say that it's safe to enter the Burial Mounds, naturally I'm not trying to get you killed. Even an orthodox cultivator is willing to go with me, so what is there to be afraid of?"

As she said these words, the woman in veil intimately wrapped her arms around the said orthodox cultivator.

The kid snorted inside. How could they be the same? He is just her disciple while he is her husband whose tolerance towards her mischief would make others shy.

Never mind, this master had changed his initial impression about her through and through, making him repeatedly ask himself if he really did the right choice to request her to be his master. She left him alone in the inn, threw him in front of the enemies, and made him the babysitter of the mysterious ancient beast who could talk. Now, she was asking him to commit suicide.

But when it comes to heart, she was indeed the purest soul he had ever met. He had met many people and experienced the cruelty of the monsters hiding under their human skin. This master, he believed, would not do things that could really endanger their lives.

"I apologize for doubting the Master's intention," he said purposely in the tone of an adult.

"Xue Yang is wise," the veiled woman smiled, suppressing her laugh.

It was indeed Xue Yang, Wei Wuxian's disciple. So who could this disgustingly sweet couple be if not Wei Wuxian himself and his husband, Lan Wangji?

The master and disciple had finally come into consensus, but this small episode had caused unnecessary delay to their group that the black dog with them was already in a sour mood.