Chapter 34: Fourteen Years Of Yearning

⸞ ۞ ⸟

Chapter Thirty Four

Late in the morning. The calming sound of Guqin could be heard coming from one of the private courtyards of the Jiang Clan. Two passing Jiang disciples who just finished their morning training halted their steps, quite curious about the piece that was being played. One was eating nuts while the other was chewing a grass. They indeed looked like a pair who loves to gossip on others.

“Isn’t that Hanguang-Jun’s mourning song?” One of them asked, shoving a piece of nut inside his mouth and munching it loudly as he peeked at the courtyard that obviously have its occupiers now.

All of them were new recruits of the Jiang Sect during the war so no one knew who was the original owner of this courtyard. Though it seems that from now on, Hanguang-Jun would be staying there.

“Is’t?” The one with the fresh grass on his mouth listened carefully to the piece. “It doesn’t seem like it though. Not heavy to the heart at all.”

His companion contemplated, “Oh? I thought it’s that song. But you’re right. This one is not sad, it’s even blissful!”

“If it’s really Hanguang-Jun, he will not play such inauspicious song.” he spat the grass that he was chewing and continued in a quiet voice, “Have you heard about the commotion that he caused the other night?”

“Of course! I witnessed it myself. Sect Leader Jiang was badly injured and even spat out blood. And Hanguang-Jun looked like he would kill him at any moment.”

“I heard that Zhengye Xiangu was also injured by Sect Leader Jiang. Thinking about this, I haven’t seen her come out since then.”

“Do you think she’s heavily injured?”

“That, I don’t know. But if it’s the truth, then our force will be lessened when the war broke out again.”

“You are right. Why would Sect Leader Jiang even injure her? She seems so nice even though she practices demonic path.”

“It must be jealousy!”

“Jealousy?”

His companion leaned over and whispered, “There’s two gossip running around. Some says that Sect Leader Jiang is a cutsleeve and is really enamored of Hanguang-Jun’s beauty!”

His companion choked on his nuts, “What?! Sect Leader Jiang is so so… he doesn’t seem like a cutsleeve at all! That must be only a rumor.”

“I think so too. So I’m more inclined to the other gossip,” he proudly said, not too eager to tell it to create some suspense.

“What is it?” the other offered his nuts, almost fawning.

“Everyone with eyes could see that Hanguang-Jun and Zhenye Xiangu have something between them, right?” He waited for his friend’s nod before continuing. “Apparently, Sect Leader Jiang also fell for Zhengye Xiangu’s beauty and strength. But Zhenye Xiangu already have Hanguang-jun. So Sect Leader Jiang challenged Hanguang-Jun into a battle. Zhengye Xiangu, being her kind self, stopped them and she was injured in the process.”

“So that’s how it is…” the pair stopped gossiping as they heard footsteps coming from behind them.

They turned around and greeted the two other disciples that were also passing by. The disciples greeted back and continued walking. The gossipy pair exchanged glances and let out a sigh of relief. Thankfully they stopped in time. Those two disciples were in fact from Gusu Lan and if they heard their gossip, even though it was more against their own sect leader, they might be offended as their Hanguang-Jun was part of the gossip. But looks like they had celebrated earlier than needed because the two Lan disciples halted their steps.