Chapter 1: Jin

Chapter One

"Wei Ying!"

Who?

"Wei Ying stay."

Lan Zhan? Lan Zhan, what are you doing here?

"Wei Ying?"

No, no, you can't be here. You will die like Shijie. "Get lost!"

"Situation changed. Wei Ying must trust me."

What do you mean?

"It's not that simple. It's not Wei Ying's fault."

No, it can't be! It's all my fault! It's my fault that Jin Zixuan died! It's my fault that Shijie's dead! Lan Zhan, I don't want you to be the next. "Get lost! Get lost! Get lost!"

"Wei Ying I..."

Stop pouring your spiritual power to me Lan Zhan. It's useless. "Get lost!"

"Must protect Wei Ying..."

"No, get lost!"

"Weiying I'm here. Wei Ying is not alone. Love... love Wei Ying..."

"Wangji what is this?! Stop protecting that evil!"

"Lan Wangji, get lost!"

"Lan Zhan!" With a sharp intake, Wei Wuxian's shout echoed through the burial mounds, disturbing the crows resting above the black bamboos covering the vast land of death, so that they scattered as if some powerful evil incarnate rose from the dead.

His head swirled and ears buzzed with the loud raspy rattles and caws of the birds flying above him. Their calls sent a bell-like signal for his mind to fully awaken.

His chest that seemed to had just risen from previous shutting down ached unbearably, as if thousands of needles were pricking his heart and thorns were the ones flowing in his lungs instead of air. It didn't help that something on his chest was causing external sting and a bite to his lower lip wasn't enough to ease it.

Wei Wuxian tried to readjust his body to find a comfortable position. He deeply regretted doing it though. It turned out that no part of his body was unscathed.

His one hand was crippled, as though someone crushed it with their foot. Half of his face felt sore; he bet that he looks worse compared to when he had punched Jin Zixuan when they were studying in the Cloud Recesses. All in all, it felt like a group of bastards, who were tired of living, hit him to death but failed to kill him at the last moment.

The familiar sky of Burial Mounds appeared in his sight, or maybe not so familiar. As far as he could remember, the Burial Mound's miasma has never been this thick since he invaded it with his presence. And the last time he remembered, he was lying on the floor of his Demon Slaughtering cave, not basking in the nonexistent moonlight of the Burial Mounds.

Sense coming back to him; doubts about his situation started to invade his mind. Wei Wuxian forced his less injured hand to trace the wound inducing pain on his lower dantian. Sure enough, it was fresh. Then he moved upward and pulled his lapels down. He tested if he could lift his head so he could get a better look at his chest wound, thankfully he could. What welcomed him was a freshly toasted skin in a Wen sect brand shape, overlapping with the previously healed one.

"You got to be kidding me!" he exclaimed despite the previous experience from his damaged air passage, sending him into endless coughing.

Great! Just great! The will of heaven is unpredictable? Ah yes, very very unpredictable.