Chapter 6: Bloody Cold Pond Cave

۞
Chapter Six

When Wei Wuxian was living in the Burial Mounds in his past, he thought he had already searched its every nook and corner. Who would have imagined that under his very own home was a chamber caging his most feared creature? A dog! He was still disbelieving about this fact until he saw it for himself.

"This..." Wei Wuxian couldn't help but be flabbergasted.

"Felt familiar?" Elder Heiying chuckled.

Wei Wuxian nodded, rubbing his arms to counter the cold. How he regretted coming here so late in the night.

This chamber surely felt familiar, or should he say that the atmosphere and stench it was emitting were the ones not new to him. The Bloody Pool. Wei Wuxian was certain that it's the extension of the Bloody Pool above.

Wei Wuxian inspected his surroundings with a fire talisman in hand. Seeing a torch nearby, he snapped his fingers together, sending burst of energy. The torches latched on the chamber walls lit up one by one, illuminating the whole place and allowing Wei Wuxian to see its entirety. His eyes wandered around, absorbing every details of the chamber. After realizing the general architecture of the chamber, his eyes suddenly widened. He felt a pang of nostalgia, reminiscing a billowing white robe from his distant memory.

The chamber actually looked more of a cave, similar to the underground cave below the Cold Spring of the Gusu Lan. Funnily, it was as cold though the kind that was gloomy cold. The difference was that this Bloody Cold Pond Cave was literally bloody. The moist rocks, the ice, and the pond itself was crimson red. It even smelled like blood.

At the center of the bloody pond was a circle platform supporting a crimson crystal coffin which size could only fit a dog.

Wei Wuxian curiously walked towards the crystal coffin through the stepping stones similarly coated with deep red ice, careful not to fall in the damn freezing bloody water. He was only looking at it and he could already imagine the numbing sensation of bathing in the pond in this ungodly hour.

Wei Wuxian carefully circled around the coffin, mindfully avoiding the nodes and veins of the array carved on the platform. Wei Wuxian shivered as he caressed the edge of the crystal coffin, immediately withdrawing his hand, and blowing his fingertips which became red and numb because of the unwanted frostbite. Leaning over to inspect the inside, he was amused to find out that there were indeed chains in the crystal coffin. The chains and the inside of the coffin were stained with dried blood which obviously came from the one who forced to free himself from it.

Wei Wuxian bent down, turning his attention to the array below his feet, earnestly studying it with mixed curiosity and weight.

After some time, he straightened up, nodding with a hand below his chin, and said, "This should work. The idea is mostly the same with my restriction seal used to confine the Stygian Tiger Amulet before. Since the Stygian Tiger Amulet feeds on resentful energy just like the seal in your soul, using it to replace the seal as the vessel wouldn't be a problem."

"As it should be," the elder sneered.

Wei Wuxian's eyes wandered around once more, stopping as he noticed that the lid of the crystal coffin had been discarded, floating on the surface of the pond, wrecked and unusable.

"You're really quite strong Old Black!" Wei Wuxian looked behind and regretted it afterwards, immediately looking at anywhere but the dog. Knowing that he's really not a dog had made Wei Wuxian to tolerate his presence. He was now not in the point of fainting, but Wen Qing said that he still looked constipated whenever his eyes would land on the threat.