Chapter 20: I Will Watch Over Her

⸞۞⸟

Chapter Twenty

A youth in white strummed the seven strings of his zither with a solemn expression. His robes fluttered in the wind, with his distress and worries accompanying it.

The cultivators in Chongyang base exchanged glances as the melody of zither sounded from faraway, reaching their ears, and evoking solemnity within their hearts. This was already a normal occurrence ever since Hanguang-Jun had joined the Jiang Sect camp. However, up until now, no one could still explain the reason why this prestigious young hero of the war would everyday play this same lonely melody.

The Lan cultivators could only shake their heads. Gossip is forbidden, but they couldn’t impose their rules to others. Actually, they could understand the Jiang Sect cultivators for finding their Second Young Master’s actions odd. It was already five months since they first heard the same sound of zither coming from Jingshi. Even they found it odd that this habit never stopped. Who was the person Hanguang-Jun was playing this song for? They had also once tried to guess in their hearts.

Hanguang-Jun was not bothered by the increasing weird stares that his Inquiry was earning. With a temperament that he had cultivated through the long years of being a teacher in Cloud Recesses, he filtered out the noises that these young cultivators were creating and only focused on listening for the answer to his inquiry.

Suddenly, his eyes flashed a glint of surprise and suppressed happiness. Hanguang-Jun had received an answer that he wasn’t expecting. But it would be a lie to say that he wasn’t hoping for this.

Still maintaining his calm front, Hanguang-Jun swiftly stood up and dispersed the spirits along with his Guqin. He hastily ran towards the foot of the mountain as fast as he could.

He endured thirteen years waiting and searching for that person only to lose him again. The four months that had passed was the most agonizing moments of Hanguang-Jun’s life, knowing that his Wei Ying was somewhere in there but he could only wait for the right moment to meet him again.

Hanguang-Jun had always wanted an explanation from the man but circumstances wouldn’t let him to ask for it. When he failed to stop Wei Wuxian from escaping back in Gusu, all the chances were decreased to zero. Because soon after, the Wen Clan had started their tyrannical actions against Gusu Lan Sect. Hanguang-Jun could only assist his sect until their territory was stabilized.

After the four months of long parting had calmed his heart, the yearning had weakened his desire for an answer. Hanguang-Jun could only hope to be with Wei Ying again. Hence, he helped Jiang Cheng just like before, hoping that he would meet Wei Ying along the way. Fate had not failed him indeed. Similar to their previous timeline, they once again reunited here in Chongyang.

Seeing the person before him playing the familiar song that he didn’t expect him to remember, Hanguang-Jun was reminded of their past life. His and Wei Wuxian’s reunion here in Chongyang had further the misunderstanding and mistaken hate between them, brought about by their different views and his failure in expressing his concern. Howbeit, contrary to that undesirable encounter, this meeting gave him a sliver of hope, a sprouting seed within his heart, expecting to be nourished, and waiting for its first bloom to come.

Even though, to Hanguang-Jun, whether or not the flowers would bloom didn’t really matter. He vowed to use this entire timeline to look over Wei Wuxian no matter what the other person’s feelings was.

“I will be responsible for her,” he said and he meant it despite how others would have perceived it.

⸞۞⸟