Chapter 30: Who are you, really?

⸞۞⸟

Chapter Thirty

It was a joyous night. Amidst the war, amidst the odd situation they were caught in, going back in time, and trying to change the future, Wei Wuxian felt happiness and contentment filling his heart. Oddly, ever since he was given the chance to live again, it was the first time that he let himself truly breathe. Just for this night, Wei Wuxian decided to free himself from all the worries, not to let go but to rest, to release the breath that he had been holding all these time and be with the man whose presence and warmth he never knew he needed so much until the moment he was reborn.

But maybe happiness was just a fleeting thing for a sinner like him. Just when they stepped out of the Yunmeng Jiang Clan’s ancestral hall, a cold laugh suddenly stopped them. Lan Wangji halted his steps, stopping about a zhang away from the owner of the voice.

Wei Wuxian sighed helplessly. Of course, such extravagant Eternal Blood Oath ritual would get someone’s attention as long as they would look up at the sky.

He took off his veil. Under the moonlight, Jiang Cheng was standing in the middle of the clearing outside the ancestral hall, his arms folded as he stared at them with a furrow between his brows. Wei Wuxian shuddered as his eyes met Jiang Cheng’s pair of dark eyes.

“To attempt the impossible. Wei Wuxian, you really understand the Yunmeng Jiang Sect’s motto. Better than I do. Better than all of us do,” Jiang Cheng muttered between laughter.

His laughter was mixed with anger, sadness, and joy that Wei Wuxian couldn’t understand what he meant by these words.

Wei Wuxian collected himself. No matter what, he couldn’t let Jiang Cheng confirm that it’s him.

Wei Wuxian, “Sect Leader Jiang, we don’t understand.”

He playfully caressed Lan Wangji’s chest to infuriate Jiang Cheng’s eyes. Surely, given how thin the man’s face was, he would just let them go instead of watching their display of affection.

Jiang Cheng slightly wavered but in the end, he scoffed eyeing Wei Wuxian from top to bottom with certainty. “It seems that you fully understand what I mean.”

Wei Wuxian’s heart trembled with the other’s intense look and at this moment he knew that Jiang Cheng would never accept any excuse. Howbeit, this didn’t mean that Wei Wuxian needed to admit anything. Wei Wuxian patted Lan Wangji’s shoulder, “Lan Zhan, let’s go.”

Jiang Cheng’s frown deepened as he looked at the scandalous pair. His eyes dimmed as he shouted, “Where do you think you’re going?”

Wei Wuxian’s eyebrow rose playfully, “Sect Leader Jiang must know, it’s quite rude to interrupt other’s wedding night.”

Jiang Cheng had reached his limit, “Wei Wuxian!”

“Jiang Wanyin!” Both Wei Wuxian and Jiang Cheng looked at where the low reprimanding call came from. Shock were completely shown on their faces as they realized that it was the ever so polite Second Jade of Lan that interrupted their heated argument.

Lan Wangji stood tall amidst the attention, holding the beauty in his arms unwaveringly. He glared at Jiang Cheng who was currently blocking their path.

Lan Wangji, “Move.”

Wei Wuxian heard Jiang Cheng laughed maniacally as though what Lan Wangji said had made him snap.

Jiang Cheng, “Quite domineering, Second Young Master Lan? You know what, I’m really curious why Wei Wuxian chose to seek you rather than us, his family and became like this.”